Pilkington XXX 3 v 1 Coleshill Town - Challenge Cup

First Team Match Reports 2002-2003

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2224
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Pilkington XXX 3 v 1 Coleshill Town - Challenge Cup

Postby Alan Beckett » Sun Dec 15, 2002 11:00 pm



Scorer: Lee Dempster.

Coleshill’s last chance of cup glory disappeared in an unconvincing performance at 1st division Pilkington XXX. Coleshill had played two other 1st division teams away from home to get to the last sixteen of the competition, overcoming both Burntwood and Bloxwich in gritty displays against hard working teams who were determined to cause an upset against a team from the Premier league. Pilkington were probably the poorest of the three teams but they played Town at just the right time, as confidence is low following defeats in the last two games.

Carl Smith was cup tied and was replaced by Player/Manager Tony Gormley and new signing Dean Bagshaw came in for his debut. Pilkington took the lead with less than five minutes on the clock when the left wingback was given too much room and his speculative shot from 25yards flew into the net with keeper Darren Bray scrambling along his line in vain. If XXX were not up for the game before, the early goal gave them the incentive to dive into every challenge. Coleshill were unable to match the home teams work rate and struggled to get their passing game going. Early injuries to Frank Woodburn and Lee McCarthy didn’t help the situation but both players to their credit battled on through the 90 minutes. Man of the match Mitchell Thompson was Town’s only threat throughout, firstly at wingback and late in the game in attack. Coleshill were slowly starting to get back into the game and at 1-0 at half time the tie was not over but within two minutes of the restart it became an up hill battle as Pilkington increased their lead. A midfielder was given the freedom of the park as he advanced without challenge to virtually walk the ball into the net. Coleshill could not find the spark to lift their performance and get back into the game and with twenty minutes to go they were out of the cup as XXX made it three. Lee Dempster made an instant impact when he came on as sub to score from a corner and then had a header from 5 yards well saved, but it was too little too late.

The honeymoon period is now over for Tony Gormley and the squad of players he inherited, it is now up to the new manager to stamp his own mark on Town by bringing in fresh talent. It is going to be a long hard battle throughout the winter as we have yet to reach the half way mark in the league campaign.

Team. Darren Bray, Lee O’Brien, Frank Woodburn, Matty Devine, Simon Bradbury, Lee McCarthy, Christian Crisp, Tony Gormley (Stuart Howard), James Connor (James Key), Dean Bagshaw (Lee Dempster), Mitchell Thompson.

M.O.M. Mitchell Thompson.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2002-2003”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest