Coleshill Town 1 v 0 Cheslyn Hay

First Team Match Reports 2002-2003

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2553
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Coleshill Town 1 v 0 Cheslyn Hay

Postby Alan Beckett » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:24 pm




Scorer: Lee Dempster.

Last game of the season, against a side bottom of the league and a win at last. Cheslyn are folding as soon as they complete their fixtures but they didn’t play like a team preparing to drop out. They played their part in an entertaining game and although neither side had anything to play for but pride, they both gave their all hoping to finish on a high note.

Steve Grady came in for his customary last game, the defence always looks more solid when he plays, and Carl Meah dropped to the bench. As usual Coleshill started brightly with Lee Dempster and Christian Crisp having shots straight at the keeper. Dempster brought the first of many fine saves from the visitors keeper with a rasping shot, and then Carl Smith shot over the bar after the best move of the game opened up the Cheslyn defence. Coleshill should have had a penalty when Mitchell Thompson was pulled back as he went for goal but he kept going and the keeper saved at his feet. Lee McCarthy crossed from the right and Crisp made contact first at the near post but his effort went just passed the post. Unlike the past few weeks when Coleshill have dominated but not took their chances, their enterprising play was rewarded with a goal on 35 mins. Matty Devine released Mitchell Thompson down the right and his cross found the unmarked Lee Dempster inside the six yard box who had time to calmly slip the ball under the advancing keeper. Cheslyn battled gamely and their robust centre forward caused problems as he ran at the defence time and again but Town keeper Danny Moseley had one of the easiest 90 mins of his brief Coleshill career. As half time approached Mitchell Thompson twice shot straight at the keeper and Lee McCarthy dragged a shot across goal, as Town kept up the pressure. Early in the second half centre back Allan Thomas twice got on the end of crosses to head goalward and Lee Dempster left the defence in his wake from a long Moseley kick but the ball wouldn’t sit down and the keeper gathered. On the hour Cheslyn had their first real strike at goal and Moseley reacted well to turn the shot round the post for a corner. This effort lifted the visitors as they forced another corner then hit the side netting in a sustained period of pressure. Coleshill nearly made the game safe when from a Frank Woodburn cross Carl Meah’s side foot volley was heading for the top corner but he was denied by another superb save from the Cheslyn keeper. And in the next attack the stopper produced another impressive save this time from a Carl Smith strike from 25 yards. Hay continued to push for an equaliser but Christian Crisp came closest to scoreing with two headers, one, which went just wide, and the other hit straight at the keeper. Coleshill held firm and deserved to take the points but were never able to relax with just the one goal separating the two sides.

Team;- Danny Moseley, Lee O’Brien, Allan Thomas, Frank Woodburn, Steve Grady (Lawrence Shannon), Lee McCarthy, Matty Devine (Tony Gormley), Carl Smith, Christian Crisp, Mitchell Thompson, Lee Dempster (Carl Meah).

M.O.M. Lee O’Brien.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2002-2003”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest