Coleshill Town 0 v 1 Meir KA

First Team Match Reports 2002-2003

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2212
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Coleshill Town 0 v 1 Meir KA

Postby Alan Beckett » Wed Jan 15, 2003 6:24 pm


Coleshill went in search of their third win in a row against Meir and for long periods looked as if they were more than capable of securing the three points. But Meir worked extremely hard and defended solidly and looked dangerous on the break and they finally got the only goal of the game with less than 15minutes left on the clock.
Manager Tony Gormley tried to stick with the side that had been rewarded with six points, in the last two games, the only change was Frank Woodburn, missing due to holidays, who was replaced by Stuart Howard who returned from suspension.

The opening period was fairly even but as Coleshill had the greater possession it was the visitors who created the closest chances. Simon Bradbury was booked, his ninth of the season, as early as the fifth minute when he pulled back an attacker and then last weeks hero keeper Danny Smith again came out on top in a one on one situation. The closest Coleshill came was a Lee McCarthy shot that just alluded Steve Fulford when the slightest touch could have been dangerous. A fine jinking run by Matty Devine brought the best out of the visitors keeper as he saved the midfielder’s shot at the near post and Fulford’s run and shot on the stroke of half time showed Coleshill were finishing the stronger.

Pete Hall had a chance in the very first minute of the second period but he was stopped with a last gasp tackle, and then Meir’s keeper saved with his legs when Fulford found himself with room to run at the defence. Coleshill were beginning to get up a head of steam and the first goal seemed inevitable, but for all their pressure, six corners in ten minutes, Meir’s goal remained intact. Meir finally relieved the intensity by gaining a serious of throw in’s down their left. Coleshill regained possession but Steve Fulford dwelt on the ball too long and Meir nicked the ball and neatly set up forward Mark Hywell who from 20yards bent the ball round several defenders and the outstretched arm of Danny Smith to take the lead. The last two games have given Coleshill new confidence and their play gathered momentum as they never believed they would lose this game. Pete Hall and Lee McCarthy both had chances and Town continued to add to the corner count but with some desperate and sometimes fortunate defending Meir held firm to secure all three points.

Team. Daniel Smith, Lee O’Brien, Lee McCarthy, Allan Thomas, Matty Devine (Stuart Howard), Simon Bradbury, Carl Smith, Christian Crisp, Peter Hall, Steve Fulford (Lee Dempster), Mitchell Thompson. Sub not used Chris Harvey.

M.O.M. Allan Thomas.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2002-2003”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest