Coleshill Town 6 Coventry Sphinx 3

First Team Match Reports 2004-2005

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Des Green
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2003 7:31 pm
Location: Marston Green

Coleshill Town 6 Coventry Sphinx 3

Postby Des Green » Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:10 am

Match Report
Tuesday 12th October 2004
Midland Combination Premier Division
Coleshill Town 6 v 3 Coventry Sphinx
Scorers: Craig Davies 2, Kevin Wagstaff, Des Wilkes, Stuart Howard, Danny Carter.

Coleshill welcomed Coventry Sphinx to the Packmeadow on a rain soaked evening to try and consolidate their position following the much needed victory at Feckenham. The signs were not good as early as the 5th minute when the visitors took an early lead. This stung the home team into action and following good attacks by both sides, Craig Davies took advantage of some careless defending and drove the ball into the net to equalise the scores on the fifteen minute mark. Both sides were intent on attack and both defences and goalkeepers needed to be alert to prevent further goals. With half time approaching Craig Davies forced the visitors into giving the ball away in the penalty area. The striker took his time and picked his spot leaving the keeper helpless.

Within three minutes of the restart Danny Carter increased the lead further when he teased the visitor's central defenders before unleahing a powerful drive low past the advancing keeper. Coventry Sphinx showed what they were capable of when they reduced the arrears only two minutes later with a well taken goal following some slack defending by the Coleshill defence. What followed this was a joy to behold as Coleshill swept forward with attack following attack. The away side were torn to shreds as Coleshill hit three goals in an eight minute spell. Stuart Howard, Kevin Wagstaff and Derek Wilkes all netted after the persistence of all of the side eventually paid off. All goals were similar that all the good work was done just outside of the penalty area but all three players showed composure to slide the ball into the net. With twelve minutes remaining the visitors struck a third goal following a quickly taken free kick with the home side still organising a defensive wall.

There was still time for James Lloyd to strike a post for the second successive game before the referee called a halt to a breathtaking game in which the visitors played their part. The team are now entrenched in third place in the league and are looking forward to the visit of leaders Leamington on Saturday.

Team: Jones(C), Jones (K), Lees (Woodburn), McPherson, Wilkes, Wagstaff, Howard, Smith, Davies (Dempster), Carter, Lloyd (Faulconbridge)

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2004-2005”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest