Coleshill Town 4 v 3 Bolehall Swifts - Floodlit Cup

First Team Match Reports 2004-2005

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2212
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Coleshill Town 4 v 3 Bolehall Swifts - Floodlit Cup

Postby Alan Beckett » Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:24 am

Scorers: Gary Falconbridge 2, Steve Lees, Kevin Wagstaff.

Coleshill gained revenge over Bolehall Swifts for their defeat in the Walsall Cup with a reshuffled side grinding out a 4-3 win. The list of injured or unavailable players was endless but it was nice to see Chris Gee back on the pitch after a long lay off and Matt Ward and Dean Farrington shouldn't be too far behind.
Coleshill started quickly as they had against Pershore and makeshift centre forward Josh McPherson made the visiting keeper dive to push away for a corner in the first minute. Swifts played with confidence, as they should with the knowledge that the had already taken their opposition to the cleaners in the previous encounter, but on quarter hour mark Coleshill took the game by the scruff of the neck with two strikes. Kevin Wagstaff won an important tackle in midfield and advanced unchallenged into a gaping hole in the Swifts defence. The midfielder took his time, drew the keeper and confidently slotted home for the opener. Minutes later Steve Lees picked out Gary Falconbridge with a deep cross and the wing back, making his first start in some time, just swept the ball over the keeper into the net. Coleshill enjoyed the best spell of the game then but Bolehall always looked dangerous on the break and never gave up the challenge. On 37 minutes they got back into the game when a Purvey shot brought a fine save from Jones but the ball fell kindly for Timmins who hit the roof of the net with his follow-up. Early in the second half Bolehall took control as their robust style unsettled the home team but the task was made almost impossible when they had a man sent off for a reckless challenge. Town nearly took advantage immediately when Danny Carter's attempted chip was edged away by the keeper to Wagstaff but his effort was once again blocked by the stopper. Stu Howard then crossed to Falconbridge who capped a fine performance with his second goal slotting into the far corner. Danny Carter, who hadn't had much luck during this game, ran at the Swifts defence and after passing several challenges was finally upended on the edge of the box. As the visitors took their time forming a wall, Steve Lees placed the ball, and effortlessly chipped into the top corner. 4-1 up, twenty minutes to go, game over. But someone forgot to tell Swifts as their ten men battled back into contention. A chip to the far post saw a header reduce the arrears before Josh McPherson, back in the box to assist the defence, went to clear the ball but hit an opponent instead and gave away a penalty. The spot kick was successful but by this time the Referee had played seven minutes injury time and blew the final whistle straight after the restart.
This is the third year Coleshill have entered the Birmingham Midweek Floodlit Cup and the first time past the first round, so the omens are good for a decent run in a competition they are more than capable of winning if they can keep everyone fit.

Team;- Craig Jones, Frank Woodburn, Steve Lees (Chris Gee), Des Wilkes, Karl Jones , Stuart Howard (Danny Nixon), Carl Smith, Josh McPherson, Gary Falconbridge, Kevin Wagstaff, Danny Carter (Jamie Blackwell).

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2004-2005”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest