Coleshill Town 4 v 1 Southam United

First Team Match Reports 2004-2005

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2212
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Coleshill Town 4 v 1 Southam United

Postby Alan Beckett » Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:38 pm

Midland Combination Premier Division
Saturday 6th November 2004
Coleshill Town 4 v 1 Southam United
Scorers: Josh McPherson 2, Kevin Wagstaff, Danny Carter.

Although ravaged with injuries, Mick Beadle's squad still looks strong with two more players making impressive debuts. Tim Lane started his second spell at Coleshill following four years at Boldmere and Matty Phipps, formerly with Moor Green and Alvechurch, came on as substitute. Lane still holds a Coleshill record as he scored 24 times in just 27 appearances in his first spell at Pack Meadow and Phipps joins a very short list of players who started with our own Colts section before finally making the first team.
Town felt they owed today's visitors Southam, as they failed to perform in the reverse fixture, suffering a disappointing 2-1 defeat, and they set about putting the record straight right from the first whistle. Des Wilkes rolled the ball between two defenders for Gary Falconbridge to run on to and his deep cross caused panic in the visitors defence as firstly Stu Howard was bundled over then Kevin Wagstaff's cross was cleared for a corner. The resulting kick almost saw Tim Lane open his account with virtually his first touch as his left foot shot on the turn was turned away for another corner. Southam struggled to get into the game but they carved out the best chance of the match so far. As in the first game between the two sides the easiest opportunities fell to their big No9, but yet again he scuffed his shot when clean through to allow Craig Jones an easy save. Lane stretched for a deep Howard cross and shot wide before Danny Carter picked the ball up from a deep position on 24 minutes. He played a neat 1-2 with Josh McPherson and then calmly slotted past the advancing keeper to put Town 1-0 up. Lane jinked past two defenders before being upended but the ball fell for Carter who chipped over the keeper and hit the bar, the rebound falling to Wagstaff who shot wide. Although Coleshill looked comfortable a second goal was needed and it finally came just before the break. A Steve Lees cross from deep reached Danny Carter after a clever Tim Lane leave. The young striker flicked the ball over his and the defenders heads and although his shot was well blocked, the rebound fell kindly for Josh McPherson to slam home from 22 yards.
The second half started slowly with only another Carter overhead flick and shot worthy of note. Then on 54 mins Southam gave themselves a lifeline out of nothing. Lee Constable, the only visitors player to impress, tried his luck from fully 35 yards and his well timed strike rocketed into the net as Jones scrambled across his line in vain. United didn't have time to press their advantage as Coleshill hit straight back. Lane was fouled on the edge of the 18 yard box and Stu Howard chipped the free kick into the danger area. In a scramble the ball landed on the six yard line and Josh McPherson reacted the quickest to strike into the roof of the net to restore the two goal advantage. Southam's recent fine run was coming to an end as they looked a beaten side and their misery was complete when Wagstaff made it four. Carter left the defence in his wake but unselfishly laid the ball back to Wagstaff who rolled the ball home. Southam did mount an attack late on when Jones was forced to parry and Des Wilkes acrobatically cleared off the line but the final action was a red card as a United player lost his head in frustration.



Team;- Craig Jones, Steve Lees, Des Wilkes, Frank Woodburn, Stu Howard (Lee Dempster), Carl Smith, Josh McPherson, Kevin Wagstaff, Danny Carter, Tim Lane, Gary Falconbridge (Matty Phipps). Sub not used Chris Gee.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2004-2005”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest