Coleshill Town 3 v 2 Coseley - Floodlit Cup

First Team Match Reports 2004-2005

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2212
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Coleshill Town 3 v 2 Coseley - Floodlit Cup

Postby Alan Beckett » Thu Nov 25, 2004 6:03 pm

Scorers: Kevin Wagstaff 2, Steve Lees.

Playing a team bottom of the West Midlands League whose recent results include an 8-0 defeat, looks a sure bet to reach a cup quarter final. Add to that scoring the opening goal after only four minutes, then it should be a breeze. But Coleshill took their foot off the gas, Coseley played some neat two touch football and had a lad up front whose pace caused lots of problems for Town's defence. Kevin Wagstaff scored his eighth of the season with customary nonchalance, slotting left foot past the keeper with the first real attack and Danny Carter had three clear opportunities before the visitors hit back on 20 minutes. A solo run by Mark Carter-Salmon resulted in the forward's shot eluding the diving Jones to find the corner of the net for the equaliser, and the same player almost scored again but this time his shot was deflected for a corner. Carter was at the centre of every Town chance as he first fed Mitchell Thompson but his effort was blocked for a corner and then the keeper saved at the near post from a Carter snap shot, the rebound falling to Carl Smith whose shot was once again blocked for a corner. On 40 minutes Town were stunned as the visitors took the lead. No 11 tried his luck from the edge of the box but his poor attempt fell nicely for Salmon who pounced for his and Coseley second of the night. If the first half was littered with chance after chance the second started slowly with both teams tightening up at the back. Coleshill enjoyed the majority of possession and slowly started to wear down the opposition, although Salmon still looked dangerous. Danny Carter was still causing problems for the away defence and his efforts deserved a goal but he was instrumental in the equaliser. The young striker jinked into the box before passing to Thompson who, with back to goal, cleverly held up play then rolled the ball back into the path of the onrushing Wagstaff. The Coseley keeper, who had had an impressive game, got to Wagstaff's effort but couldn't hold it and the balled rolled over the line into the net. Minutes later Wagstaff gathered the ball and ran at the defence. His run took him diagonally across the box and as he turned to come back towards goal his legs were took from him and the referee didn't hesitate in giving a penalty. Steve Lees took the spot kick and although the keeper got a touch, the strike was too powerful and the captain's sixth goal of the season put Coleshill ahead. In the time left Coseley tried hard but couldn't get back into the game and Coleshill could have increased the lead through Carter, Dempster and finally Wagstaff who shot over from 4 yards out when set up by a Thompson pass. The final whistle saw Coleshill through to their second quarter final in a week and with Dudley Sports to come in the next round, silverware is becoming a realistic possibility.

Team;- Craig Jones, Steve Lees, Frank Woodburn, Des Wilkes, Stu Howard, Kevin Wagstaff, Carl Smith (Chris Gee), Josh McPherson, Matty Phipps Lee Dempster), Danny Carter (Pete Hall), Mitchell Thompson. Subs not used Craig Davies, Matt Ward.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2004-2005”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest