Brocton 3 v 4 Coleshill Town

First Team Match Reports 2004-2005

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2210
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Brocton 3 v 4 Coleshill Town

Postby Alan Beckett » Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:42 am

Scorers:Tim Lane 2, Kevin Wagstaff, Chris Gee.

Coleshill completed their second double of the season with this win over Brocton, following the 3-0 success over Alveston last week but unlike the Alveston game, Town were pushed all the way in a spirited second half display by the home team. Chances and goals were aplenty as both sides impressed going forward but always looked likely to concede at the other end. Manager Mick Beadle was saved from the decision of which of his three star forwards to go with as Danny Carter went down with the flu, Tim Lane and Craig Davies starting. Steve Lees and Des Wilkes were also under the weather but manfully completed 90 minutes. Kevin Wagstaff celebrated his 50th appearance for Coleshill with a goal, his twelfth of the season.
Brocton have an impressive home record and were quickly into their stride. On three minutes they took the lead as a long throw was headed on at the near post and then headed goalward at the far post. Craig Jones got his hand to the ball but only managed to palm it onto the bar and down over the goal line. Town responded quickly when a Stu Howard cross was headed away for a corner by a defender. Kevin Wagstaff took the kick and with the assistance of a sudden strong gust of wind, the ball sailed into the net at the far post. Coleshill started to get their passing game together but Brocton were always dangerous on the break and Town almost gifted them a goal when Jones and Des Wilkes came for the same ball allowing a forward to nip in and shoot inches wide. On 23mins a clever through ball by Howard released Tim Lane with the home defence static, looking for offside. Lane calmly rounded the keeper and shot home for 2-1. Craig Jones made two fine saves, firstly with his feet then a dive and palm away as Brocton fought to level, but Town increased their lead with another defensive howler. Jones kicked long out of his hands and two home defenders misjudged the bounce to leave Tim Lane free on goal again. Again the forward showed composure to draw the keeper and slot home for a two goal advantage.
Coleshill started the second half on the attack as Craig Davies hit the bar and the best move of the game involving Kevin Wagstaff, Steve Lees, Chris Davies and Stu Howard brought a fine save from the home keeper from a Lees rasping drive. But Brocton were starting to get the better of the mid-field battle and pushed Town further and further back. Jones again came to the rescue with his feet when out numbered three to one, but the stopper could only look on as on 71 minutes the home team reduced the arrears with a swift counter attack. Jones had to be alert again as a deep corner caused confusion in the Coleshill penalty area. Town responded through substitute Matty Phipps who got to the bye line and delivered the perfect cross, which was met by the head, or was it nose, of Chris Gee to thump the ball into the net. Brocton refused to give up the cause and hit back in the last minute to make it 4-3, and were still pushing for an equaliser as the referee blew the final whistle.

Team: Craig Jones, Matt Ward, Des Wilkes, Steve Lees, Stuart Howard (Matty Phipps), Josh McPherson, Kevin Wagstaff, Chris Davies, Craig Davies, Tim Hilton, Chris Gee (Lee Dempster).
Sub not used Carl Smith.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2004-2005”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest