Coleshill Town 0 v 7 Coventry Marconi

First Team Match Reports 2004-2005

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2224
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Coleshill Town 0 v 7 Coventry Marconi

Postby Alan Beckett » Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:52 pm


After suffering two defeats at the hands of Coleshill this season, Marconi were out for revenge, but they would never have believed they would get it so quickly and so emphatically. It was already 3-0 by the time Craig Davies got red carded on 18 minutes. A fourth and the dismissals of James Lloyd and Steve Lees followed before the half hour mark and a fifth just before half time. The eight men of Coleshill battled manfully to stem the tide and kept the scoring down to just two more, both own goals, before the Referee finally put a stop to the farcical proceedings.
Manager Mick Beadle was without Des Wilkes and Josh McPherson as well as new signing Alan Wright. James Lloyd came straight back into the side and Frank Woodburn returned from a niggling injury to take a place on the bench.
The game was only four minutes old when the back three got caught flat footed and Peter John Gordon took advantage to score. On 12 minutes Steve Lees tackled a forward and fell on the ball. Somehow the referee adjudged that to be deliberate hand ball and gave a penalty Matt Kearns converting. Tim Lane jinked past two defenders and swerved a shot just past the post in a rare Town attack but the visitors extended their lead with their next move Gordon again the finisher. Marconi were dominating possession, goal scoring and refereeing decisions, which was highlighted on 18 minutes. Craig Davies was scythed down but heard no whistle and when Coleshill's leading scoring made his views known to the official he was sent off for foul and abusive language. Steve Lees did some scything himself in his own box and gave away a penalty and got a yellow card. Craig Jones made a fine save but Town now new this was a day to forget when the referee had the kick re-taken for encroachment. Craig Civzelis scored at the second attempt. With the defence in disarray James Lloyd pulled back a forward and he was dutifully sent from the field of play. Steve Lees then upended his marker to give away yet another penalty, plus a second yellow card and he was off. Dave Innis missed the resulting spot kick, but he made amends just before the break with No5.
Damage limitation was the name of the game in part two. Dave Innis's shot skewed off the boot of Carl Smith for 6-0 and Craig Jones punched a Stuart Fraser corner kick straight into the net for the seventh, but the eight men did claim back some pride with a rear guard action and just the odd break away.
Mick Beadle has learned more about his players during this poor run of form and this game in particular, than the impressive displays prior to the turn of the year, and must be nearer now to deciding what is needed to improve the squad for next season.

Team;- Craig Jones, Steve Lees, Matt Ward, James Lloyd, Stu Howard (Frank Woodburn), Liam Daly (Danny Carter), Carl Smith, Kevin Wagstaff (Stuart McLaughlan), Craig Davies, Tim Lane, Mitchell Thompson.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2004-2005”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest