Meir KA 1 v 0 Coleshill Town

First Team Match Reports 2005-2006

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2212
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Meir KA 1 v 0 Coleshill Town

Postby Alan Beckett » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:15 am

Saturday 14th January 2006
Midland Combination Premier Division
Meir K.A. 1 v 0 Coleshill Town

Coleshill made the long trip to Meir unusually on a Saturday as in previous seasons it has generally been on a Wednesday night. Despite that inconvenience, Town have faired well at the Staffordshire club with a 2-1 win a repeating scoreline but on this occasion Coleshill were out of luck and couldn't find the killer touch despite being in control for long periods. Town's leading scorer David Brush was missing due to tooth ache, and without him Coleshill struggled to create many clear cut chances giving the home keeper a reletively quite afternoon.

The game started in bright sunshine but the pitch was very heavy due to all the rain of late. Meir looked a different side to last season, very young but to a man they knew how to boot the ball vast distances. Coleshill had an early shout for handball in the box from a Kevin Wagstaff cross. Coleshill were enjoying good possession and James Dance and Jamie Shipway were forging a good partnership down the right side which constantly caused the home defence problems. Wagstaff headed a Dance cross wide and Dan Greaves almost forced home a Dance cross but his effort was hacked away from under the bar. Meir looked dangerous on the break and Des Wilkes came to Coleshill's rescue more than once but it was the visitors who were forcing the pace. Shaun Kidson had a fierce shot well saved and Shipway an effort blocked. A Dance cross was headed wide by Dan Greaves and in a repeat move Coleshill should have had a penalty. Dance crossed, Greaves headed wide but as Wagstaff went to retrieve the ball he was hauled to the ground. The referee waved play on and when asked later he said Wagstaff only ran across his man. In the last two games Coleshill have had four clear cut penalty appeals turned down, costing them a semi-final place and at least one point in the fight to move away from the relegation positions. Des Wikes ran the length of the pitch to get on the end of a Wagstaff cross but the keeper parried for a corner. Miles Day saved from No10 before Coleshill ended the half with efforts from Kidson, Shipway and Ellis.

Coleshill started the second half in a similar fashion but efforts on goal were becoming rare and the home team were growing in confidence. Shipway showed good skills to avoid two tackles before shooting just wide and at the other end Ryan Gardner had to be at his best to break up a good move. Rob Ellis fed Dance who cut inside and shot from the edge of the box but his goalbound effort was blocked. Meir made a substitution and the newly introduced winger started to get some joy down the left. One cross avoided the defence and unmarked Ritchie Hadrrell headed a great chance wide. Minutes later the same pair combined and this time when the cross came in Hadrrell powerfully headed past the dive of Millington-Day for the only goal of the game on 67 minutes. Coleshill introduced long term casualty Danny Carter in the hope he could find some majic to change this game and then as time started to run out brought Sean Burrell on up front in a desperate effort to salvage something. Coleshill huffed and puffed but the best chance of the whole game fell to Burrell who headed a Carter cross wide from less than 3 yards.

With still sixteen games to go and the bottom three looking too close for comfort it is going to be a difficult end to what was a promising season.

Team;- Miles Millington-Day, Simon Bradbury, Des Wilkes, Ryan Gardner, James Dance, Sean Kidson, Sam Chatwin, Rob Ellis (Shaun Burrell), Jamie Shipway, Dan Greaves (Danny Carter), Kevin Wagstaff. Sub not used Myrone Levy.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2005-2006”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest