Coleshill Town 1 v 1 Pilkington XXX

First Team Match Reports 2006-2007

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2212
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Coleshill Town 1 v 1 Pilkington XXX

Postby Alan Beckett » Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:16 pm

Saturday 3rd February 2007
Midland Combination Premier Division
Coleshill Town 1 v 1 Pilkington XXX
Scorer: David Brush.

Coleshill's tough battle at the top with Pilkington XXX ended all square, 1-1 at Pack Meadow. Mike Campbell forced a penalty for Dave Brush to convert on 46 minutes, but Richard Maguire clinched the point for the Glassmen seven minutes from time.

Coleshill were virtually at full strength as Rob Hipkiss returned from injury. Manager Mick Beadle went for his preferred 3-5-2 formation with Shay Morgan partnering Michael Campbell up front leaving David Brush a roaming role in midfield. Joe Clarke replaced James Dance wide right of midfield.

From the start this was obviously going to be a tough game as the visitors, only one place below Coleshill in the league, were big and strong and won most high balls. The first-half was full of endeavour from both sides but there were few clear-cut chances. Coleshill had the best of the early exchanges, with a Josh McPherson header straight at XXX keeper Sanders, and Volante firing a swirling shot wide. Pilks first chance fell to Naveed Arshad who flicked a cross from Earl Jordan goalwards but Greg Allen in the home goal scrambled it clear. Ritchie McGuire fired straight at Allen after a good run. The referee was very whistle happy and the game failed to take off as the stop start disrupted play.

Coleshill came out in the second half more determined and went ahead within a minute. A Rob Hipkiss free kick was floated into the feet of Campbell. The striker used his strength to protect the ball and his marker pulled him back, the referee pointed to the spot – David Brush stepped up to send Sanders the wrong way and give Town the lead 1-0. The physical Campbell was again involved when he chased his own flick on, but his shot was very wild and went out for a throw in! Another goal at this time would have killed the game but to their credit Pilks fought back by creating some chances of their own. Naveed Arshad fired over after the ball had dropped to him in the box and Keight headed over a free kick from Jordan after a foul on the speedy Arshad. With time running out Pilkington started to play their best football of the match. Arshad got his boot to a corner but he could only steer the ball over the bar and, soon after, Keight jumped too early and headed over. XXX were winning all the headers at this point and they finally made one count for the equaliser. After 83 minutes McGuire headed in Jordan’s curling free kick 1-1. The referee turned down Pilks’ appeals for a penalty and Coleshill broke quickly, however Neil Ward was on-hand to block Dominic Reece's goalbound shot. A minute later Brush hit a dipping shot just over the bar. Pilkington’s best chance to win the game fell to Arshad in time added on when he was rolled in by Keight after a powerful run, however his shot went just wide of the post.

Coleshill Town: Greg Allen, Alan Wright, Rob Hipkiss, Des Wilkes, Joe Clark, Josh McPherson, Simon Volante, David Brush, Michael Campbell (Raddi Richards), Shay Morgan (Danny Carter), Dominic Reece. Subs not used James Dance, Mark Ward, Carl Smith.

Pilkington XXX F.C.: Sanders, King, Davies, Dyer, Ward, McLauchlan, Jordan, Keight, Arshad, McGuire, Brown
Sub unused – Majid, Field, Ross, Rattray, Jones

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2006-2007”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest