Coventry Sphinx 2 v 2 Coleshill Town

First Team Match Reports 2006-2007

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2212
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Coventry Sphinx 2 v 2 Coleshill Town

Postby Alan Beckett » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:49 pm

Wednesday 21st March 2007
Midland Combination Premier Division
Coventry Sphinx 2 v 2 Coleshill Town
Scorers: David Brush, Ben Usher.

There's still ten games to go and anything can happen in football but I can say with some confidence that Sphinx will win this league! So, to go to the current leaders and champions elect, and come away dissappointed with only one point instead of all three, is an indication of what Mick Beadle's squad is capable of. Ex Coleshill striker and current Sphinx manager Paul Charnley commented that Town were the best team they have played this season, and that his side had been fortunate but happy with the draw. Beadle on the other hand was left frustrated at the amount of chances Coleshill continue to create but fail to convert. Town had several clear cut chances to take the lead in a one sided first half but went into the break one down. The second half was much more even but after Ben Usher scored the equaliser Sphinx took the lead again via a defensive slip up and Coleshill had to rely on a David Brush special to gain a share of the points.

Mick Beadle decided to go with a front pairing of Michael Campbell and Ben Usher with Raddi Richards slotting into midfield. This gave Town a powerfull backbone which rattled the home team at every opportunity. The two new signing's, Carl Hind from Atherstone and Sam Chatwin from Alvechurch were on the bench.

Coleshill had the benifit of the slope in the first half and made it count to their advantage. Dominic Reece, having his best game so far in a Coleshill shirt, crossed to Michael Campbell who held the ball up inside the box before laying back into the path of Josh McPherson who shot wide when all around him were expecting it to hit the back of the net. David Brush curled a free kick over the bar but this was just a sighter for his late, late effort. Reece crossed for the inrushing Campbell but the ball was just out of reach. Then Joe Clarke crossed from the opposite wing to Reece who shot over when again well placed. The Sphinx back line looked for an offside but Reece went clear on goal and with just the keeper to beat he tried a chip which the keeper easily grasped. A Brush defence splitting pass sent Clarke free but the youngster shot wide when he had more time to pick his spot. Coleshill stopper Greg Allen had had little to do but as half time approached he had to pick the ball out of the net. Rob Hipkiss conceded a free kick right on the edge of the box. The kick was well struck with Allen diving to his left to palm away but Jerome Murdock was on hand to sweep the ball home. Within a minute it could have been two as Sphinx, with their tails up flashed a shot just wide of the post. A Brush free kick was half cleared but a richochet left Raddi Richards with a clear sight at goal. The home keeper did well to block Richards effort but the ball fell to the feet of Ben Usher who missed the target from less than a yard out.

Within two minutes of the restart Coleshill were level with a goal that seemed to happen in slow motion. Ben Usher had the ball on the left edge of the penalty area, Michael Campbell was tumbled to the ground as he attempted to get to the expected cross and was screaming for a penalty but Usher had already sent his shot goalward and the ball squeezed between keeper and post for a well deserved equaliser. Murdock, easily Sphinx's biggest threat, turned Ian Bluck and shot but Allen saved. Clarke cut inside but his left foot effort went wide. Murdock skipped a couple of tackles to set up a shooting chance but he delayed and the chance had gone. A Rob Stevenson free kick was scrambled away by the Town defence but Sphinx regained the lead on 75 minutes. Rob Hipkiss found his path to clear blocked so he turned and passed back to his keeper but Craig Martin nipped in and sent a thundering left foot shot into the top corner. Coleshill were desperate to get back into the game but Sphinx's reguard held firm and chances were limited. Campbell's strength won him a free kick on the edge of the box and Brush made the job look easy as he lifted the ball over the wall and into the net. With still seven minutes remaining there was time for one side to come up with the winner but too many free kicks stopped the flow of play. In the dying seconds Joe Clarke reacted to a challenge from Sphinx's Dave Drennan and was shown a second yellow card as was Drennan, so both sides finished the game with 10 men.

Team:- Greg Allen, Rob Hipkiss, Ian Bluck, Ryan Gardiner, Joe Clarke, Raddy Richards (Carl Hind), Josh McPherson, Dominic Reece, David Brush, Michael Campbell, Ben Usher (Shay Morgan). Subs not used James Dance, Sam Chatwin, Danny Carter.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2006-2007”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest