Loughborough University 2 v 3 Coleshill Town

First Team Match Reports 2007-2008

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2175
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Loughborough University 2 v 3 Coleshill Town

Postby Alan Beckett » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:07 pm

Uni:Noel Clarkson 2.
Colemen: Danny Carter pen, Oluwaseyi Morgan, Dan Greaves.

With only two league games gone Coleshill were starting with a new management team. The “Committee” had decided to relieve Mick Beadle from his position of Manager and while the job is advertised Colin Strong, Neil Kitching and Ian Bluck were to take temporary charge. It was Kitching who took the upper hand and he decided to go to a 4-4-2 formation, Kristian Kelsall coming in at right back and Simon Volante coming into midfield. The problem spot of wide left was solved by James Dance and David Brush switching in the two wide positions. Loughborough University were exactly what it says on the tin, young, very, very fit, lots of skill but little experience. The fit part nearly undone Coleshill on the hottest day of the season.
The home team had had a decent start to the season with two wins from their four games and the played some lovely football on an immaculate pitch. Danny Carter and Michael Campbell combined well on several occasions and were a handful for the home defence all afternoon. But Coleshill had to be thankful to keeper Greg Allen to keep them in the game as Uni carved open the Town defence. Allen stood tall and saved with his chest as a goal seemed certain and Rob Hipkiss had to dive to block another goal bound shot and the resulting corner was desperately cleared. The Cammy DC combination nearly broke the deadlock but a Carter cross was only just away from the toe of Campbell. With halftime approaching Campbell went on a powerful run that took him past several defenders but was brought down as he attempted to go past the keeper. Danny Carter confidently stroked the ball home for the lead. With only seconds remaining Uni hit back and Man of the Match Ben Aherne had a shot saved by Allen and the follow up with hacked off the line.
Coleshill were the first with a chance in the second half but Uni hit back when Noel Clarkson tried to chip Allen but if that effort had no reward the next one levelled the scores. The ball should have been cleared but Aherne stole the ball and thundered a shot against the bar the rebound fell for Clarkson who again thundered the ball home. Coleshill were running out of legs on a stifling hot day and the new Management were shouting to keep what we had and settle for a draw. Clarkson was enjoying the contest and made Allen work hard for a save at his feet but when he was fouled on the edge of the area he made the Coleshill defence pay with a Beckham like free kick that left Allen helpless. There seemed to be no way back but with fresh legs Coleshill found the heart from somewhere. On 85 mins Dance crossed into the danger area and Oluwaseyi Morgan stretched to stab the ball home for 2-2. With only three minutes remaining Dan Greaves took a gamble and jincked past his marker and shot for goal, the giant Loughborough keeper blocked the first effort but Greaves retrieved the ball and from the narrowest of angles shot home for an unlikely winner.
The points were vital for Coleshill as the try to maintain a high league position to give the new manager something to work with but the University side will take some scalps along the way as the possession football was impressive and good to watch.

Team;- Greg Allen, Sam Chatwin, Rob Hipkiss (Ray Scandrett), Ryan Gardiner, James Dance, Kristian Kelsall, Josh McPherson, David Brush, Michael Campbell (Oluwaseyi Morgan) , Danny Carter (Dan Greaves), Simon Volante. Subs not Used Neil Kitching Radolph Richards.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2007-2008”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest