Pershore Town 0 v 3 Coleshill Town

First Team Match Reports 2007-2008

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2224
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Pershore Town 0 v 3 Coleshill Town

Postby Alan Beckett » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:11 pm

Saturday 29th September 2007
Midland Combination Premier Division
Pershore Town 0 v 3 Coleshill Town
Scorers: Neil Kitching 2, 1 pen, Danny Carter.

This is exactly what we want. A top of the league clash with two teams who really fancy thier chances this year. And it didn't dissappoint. Coleshill were the better of the two teams in the first half and made the most of their chances. Pershore had much more possession second half and showed what a good team they are but this was Coleshill's day and with the shock of seeing Pershore deducted three points Town have now opened up a gap at the top.

Manager Carl Adams would have preferred to start with the same eleven that defeated Bolehall in the Vase but Kristian Kelsall was stuggling with an injury so Andy Sutherland came in to an otherwise unchanged team.

Coleshill's attacking formation is paying dividends at the start of games and the plan paid off as Town went 3-0 up with only 25 mins on the clock. David Brush's early free kick to James Dance was blocked for a corner. Pershore, playing their first game at home due to the floods, were confident as their league position would suggest. They took a quick free kick and a diving header and follow up shot was cleaned up by the immaculate Richard Kavanagh. An even opening suddenly swung Coleshill's way with 7 mins on the clock. Danny Carter got to the bye line and his cross just eluded Neil Kitching but the half clearance fell to Brush who tried to pick his spot but No6 got back to save on the line with the assistance of a hand. The Referee pointed to the spot and Kitching made no mistake to put Town ahead. Pershore hit back but every attack was thwarted by a determined defence with both Kavanagh and captain Josh McPherson outstanding. Coleshill increased their lead on 21 mins with a very similar goal. This time it was Matty Robinson who got to the bye line and his cross found Carter who had time and space to crash home from 8 yards out. 25 mins gone and it was game over. David Brush sent in an inch perfect free kick and Kitching gleefully accepted the chance to head home. The home team came more into the game but their two forwards got little joy. At the other end Brush headed a looping ball onto the bar and then shot just over from a good move.

Andy Sutherland couldn't make the second half so young Liam Taylor came in for his debut at right back. The tempo of the game dropped and although Pershore played some impressive football Chris Butler in the Coleshill goal was rarely troubled. However the home team did have a chance to get into the game when the referee awarded them a penalty on 69 mins. From a corner Jake Sammons cleared off the line. Butler dove to save the return and appeared to be held down and as he tried to get up he hauled to the ground a Pershore player. The latter offence was spotted but Ben Hooper could only put the spot kick against the post and the chance had gone. Butler made amends as he parried a shot away for a corner. Hooper shot well over when well placed and Campbell had the ball in the net but was off side, but the second half never lived upto the first as Coleshill shut up shop.

Team: Chris Butler, Andy Sutherland (Liam Taylor), Josh McPherson, Richard Kavanagh, Sam Chatwin, James Dance, Simon Volante, David Brush, Danny Carter (Michael Campbell), Neil Kitching Jake Sammons), Matt Robinson. Sub not used Greg Allen.

Taken from the Evesham Journal

Coleshill spoil Pershore homecoming
By Sportsdesk
Pershore Town 0, Coleshill Town 3
SATURDAY'S return to King George's Playing Field could not have been more disappointing as Town not only suffered their first Midland Combination Premier Division defeat but also surrendered top spot.

Coleshill drew first blood after only ten minutes when a deep cross wasn't dealt with and an ensuing scramble saw a shot blocked by Dave Cannon's hand and Neil Kitching tucked away the resultant penalty.

Pershore failed to gain any momentum after going behind and things got worse in the 20th minute when left back Gary Smith was easily beaten on the byline and Dan Carter to drive the ball past a helpless Ross Sanders.
The game had barely restarted when the visitors dealt Town a further comprehensive blow.

Again, the hosts were found wanting as a free-kick was floated into the area and Kitching rose unmarked to head past a stranded Sanders.

The visitors rarely threatened preferring to take the pace out of the game which suffered from an innumerable number of stoppages.

Town's cause wasn't helped when Cannon was substituted in the 29th minute with a suspected cracked rib and both Grant Pinkney and Luke Whittington were withdrawn at half-time due to injuries.

With the introductions of Andy Chalmers, Justin Ballinger and Tim Beattie, Town did improve but, despite having most of the possession, lacked a cutting edge.

Their best opportunity came 20 minutes from time when they were awarded a penalty but Lee Hooper's effort rolled to safety off the inside of a post.

Town boss Neil Hunt said: "It was very disappointing. It was a big day for everyone involved with the club and we had a decent crowd in, but we were too one dimensional.

They played three up which made it difficult for us to play out from the back, so we needed to bring our wide players into the game and we failed to do that."

Town visit Loughborough University on Saturday when they will be looking to get their promotion challenge back on track.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2007-2008”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest