Stockingford AA 1 v 4 Coleshill Town Challenge Cup

First Team Match Reports 2007-2008

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2212
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Stockingford AA 1 v 4 Coleshill Town Challenge Cup

Postby Alan Beckett » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:37 am

Saturday 3rd November 2007
Endsleigh Challenge Cup Round 2
Stockingford AA 1 v 4 Coleshill Town
Scorers: David Brush 3, Brian Gray.

Coleshill had to work harder than they had expected to overcome a young but well organised Stockingford side that are currently mid table in the league below. The home side ended the first 45 mins in front with a Michael Husslebury goal but it could have been worse for Town who rode their luck at times. The second half was different as James Dance, Michael Campbell and particularly David Brush made their experience count cutting open the home defence time after time to progress to the next round of the Mid Com's premier cup competition.

Manager Carl Adams is still searching for his best team and indead the best formation as Coleshill continue to head the league table but struggle to impress consistantly. Adams opted for a 3-5-2 format but changed mid first half. Stuart Adamson started his first game since signing from Bedworth in a wide left role but quickly dropped back into his more preferred full back position.

Stockingford had the better of the opening exchanges and deservadly went ahead on 14 mins. Hussleburry outfought Josh McPherson, something not many people do, and got to the bye line but he was given far too much time as he cut inside and beat Chris Butler with a near post shot. Both sides had chances to score but both seemed to have left their shooting boots at home as neither keeper was overworked. Dave Barnett had AA's best chance but shot over and then a long Butler clearance bounced over the opposing keeper but with Campbell and Robinson contending the ball, centre back and captain Ryan Millerchip did well to clear.

Stockingford should have gone 2-0 up within minutes of the restart but from a Barnett cross Husslebury headed wide with the goal at his mercy. Coleshill slowly started to take control with James Dance's running causing all sorts of problems. On 52 mins Town got the goal that settled them down giving them the platform to go on to win the game. After a period of pressure Ryan Scott headed the ball backward into the box, Michael Campbell held off his challenger and laid the ball into the path of David Brush who shot left footed under the keeper. A Dance cross was headed over by debutant Adamson but the home team still looked dangerous on the break as a Barnett run and shot was saved by Butler, and Husslebury was inches away from a tap in. Coleshill continued to press and a sweeping move involving Brush, Gray and Campbell on 77 mins left Brush in the clear to side foot home for the lead at last. Town were now rampent and the power of Campbell held the play up on 83 mins to allow Brush to complete his hat trick, and Coleshill's 50th goal of the season, with another casual side foot shot. Josh McPherson hit the bar with a header before Campbell was fouled in the box and Brian Gray scored from the spot on 89 mins. Barnett impressed again as he cleverly worked some space to shoot but Butler saved and the final action was a shot from Gray that was easily saved by the home keeper.

Coleshill now have a chance to avenge the league defeat to Highgate as they meet them in the next round at home on 1st December.

Team: Chris Butler, Josh McPherson, Sam Chatwin (Liam Taylor), Richard Kavanagh, Simon Volante, Brian Gray, James Dance, David Brush (Kristian Kelsall), Michael Campbell, Matty Robinson (Ryan Scott), Stuart Adamson. Subs not used Rob Hipkiss, Neil Kitching.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2007-2008”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest