Massey Ferguson 1 v 4 Coleshill Town

First Team Match Reports 2007-2008

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2210
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Massey Ferguson 1 v 4 Coleshill Town

Postby Alan Beckett » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:14 am

Tuesday 6th November 2007
Midland Combination Premier Division
Massey Ferguson 1 v 4 Coleshill Town
Scorers: James Dance 2, Richard Kavanaugh, David Brush.

With Coleshill on cup duty on Saturday Southam took advantage and took over top spot. Town, with two games in hand, would overhaul Southam with a draw or a win at Massey but if history was anything to go by, Coleshill would have to be at their best as it always proves to be a tough game at Massey.

The pitch looked excellent on a cold but clear night ideal conditions for football. In an even first quarter the only real chance fell to Michael Campbell who should have done better than head wide from a James Dance cross. On 17 mins Matty Robinson got infront of his marker and headed for goal but was hauled back. The referee took several minutes and a discussion with his assistant to send off James Lockyer and award Coleshill a free kick. David Brush stroked the ball over the wall and into the net for his fourth goal in two games. As would be expected playing against ten men Coleshill had plenty of possession but Massey always looked dangerous on the break as they had pace aplenty. On 27 mins Richard Kavanagh, with oceans of space, gave Brian Gray a hospital pass. A Massey player intercepted and quickly released Aarron Hughes who shot across Chris Butler in the Coleshill goal. The ball struck the post but came back to the impressive Hughes who made no mistake the second time. On 39 mins young Liam Taylor ran at the home defence and was took out on the edge of the box. Brush stood over the ball again but it was Kavanagh who struck a sweet kick into the corner of the net. Stuart Adamson went close and Dance hit the side netting as Coleshill pushed for a third but it wasn't all one way as Massey fought bravely.

Within seconds of the restart Brush had the ball in the net but was adjudged off side then Michael Campbell muscled his way into the box but shot just wide, then had a very good shout for a penalty as the home defence struggled to contain the powerful striker. Massey hit back and Sam Chatwin had to make a last ditch tackle. Coleshill eased the tension with a third on 61mins. Campbell again rolled his man and passed to Dance who side footed home. Hughes had a double chance to reduce the areas but Butler saved. Dance, making his 100th appearance for his home town club, hit the bar minutes before he volleyed home No4 on 69 mins and Neil Kitching had a shot fingertipped away before Massey substitute Erelin had a great chance but lobbed over the keeper and the bar.

Another win without firing on all cylinders but manager Carl Adams is well aware of the situation. With over a third of the season now gone Coleshill are well on target but there is a long way to go. There is no doubt that this side will get better and there will still be a few more comings and goings as Adams improves his squad.

Team: Chris Butler, Liam Taylor(Sam Chatwin), Josh McPherson, Richard Kavanagh, Stuart Adamson, James Dance, Simon Volante, Brian Gray, David Brush, Michael Campbell, Matty Robinson(Neil Kitching). Subs not used Rob Hipkiss, Kristian Kelsall.

Article taken from Nuneaton Griff web site
Written by 22RedDragon22 A Massey Player
Massey F 1 - Coleshill 4

Preparation before the game went out the window for Massey F when the game swung heavily towards Colehill after only 15 minutes. After a fairly even start, the 15th minute brought a pivotal moment of the game, a ball over the top put the Coleshill striker through (although it was felt from the sidelines he was off-side), he was brought down just outside the area and as last man the right decision was made to send off Lockyer from the Massey F defence. No arguments on the sending-off but doubts on the offside decision. Down to 10 men early in the game against the team top of the league was always going to be a tough task but to compound the situation the resultant free-kick was struck into the top corner by Brush to put Coleshill in a strong position. With 10 men Massey F then persisted to hold their own although Coleshill inevitably had far more space to play in. However, it was Massey F in the 35th minute that found an equaliser after A.Hughes beat the keeper when through on goal. The parity in the score was short lived as on 39 minutes Kavanagh stepped up to score another free-kick, again a superbly struck effort into the far corner.

In the second half Coleshill starting much the brighter and on several occasions threatened a third goal. Two further goals did follow, both by Danks, one a well struck shot from outside the box into the top corner and the other a quick passing move around the box. It wasnt all going Coleshill's way though as A.Hughes had a one-on-one saved and M.Erelin on his debut put over when through on goal.

Overall - Coleshill deserved three points, were the better team on the night and are a very good side, but up until the 15th minute the game was an even battle and the sending off and goal from the same free-kick was a pivotal moment. Massey F showed more character than of late to get back into the game and also for large parts competing with one man less. Performances of particular note coming from A.Hughes and M.Barlow.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2007-2008”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest