Heather St John 1 v 1 Coleshill Town

First Team Match Reports 2007-2008

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2212
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Heather St John 1 v 1 Coleshill Town

Postby Alan Beckett » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:05 pm

Tuesday 4th December 2007
Midland Combination Premier Division
Heather St John 1 v 1 Coleshill Town
Scorer: Brian Gray.

This was Coleshill's first visit to Heather and what a smashing little set up it is, but it was a lousy night, slippery pitch and very windy so the football on offer wasn't of the best quaility. On top of that a niggly, bad tempered and very physical game was allowed to get out of control by the officials who were out of their depth ("In my opinion").

Coleshill are ever so slowly starting to get their injured players back, Ryan Scott the latest to make a return to the side but Richard Kavanagh and Simon Volante were still missing although it is hoped they may be available for saturday.

Tackles were flying in from everywhere in a scrappy start and players were struggling to keep on their feet on a very slippery surface. Heather got the ball to their front two as quick as possible and their tactics nearly paid dividends as they twice had early chances down the right side of Coleshill's box but Town took the lead from their first attack. Chris Butler cleared to Kristian Kelsall who fed Matty Robinson who got to the bye line but his cross come shot was blocked, spun up and swirled in the wind over the keepers head and Brian Gray forced the ball over the line on 7 mins. Heather captain Michael Betts had a header at the far post saved but Gray nearly increased the lead when he clashed with the home keeper, again the ball ballooning up but this time the wind took the ball only just over the bar. Danny Quinn got to the ball infront of the outrushing Butler but his goalbound effort was easily cleared by Kitching. Heather were causing problems with high balls as they took advantage of the wind at their backs. The game was stop start, foul after foul, but only one side were getting punished with cards, the visitors. Manager Carl Adams had asked for some passion and guts and that's what he got as Coleshill dug deep and fought for every ball.

Coleshill put the home goal under pressure in the opening minutes of the second half but couldn't find a break through but their situation should have been improved as Matty Robinson was brought down by the last man on 51 mins. Amazingly the Referee showed only a yellow card to Heather's relief and Coleshill's annoyance. Michael Campbell came on as sub and nearly scored with one of his first touches, a shot saved at the near post. Robinson hit the side netting and McPherson headed wide as Coleshill looked for the second goal that would have killed the game. Time was running out and Coleshill's hard work seemed to be heading for a three point reward but Stuart Adamson got caught in possession by Betts who moved the ball quickly onto Lee Taylorson and his side foot shot eluded Butler and planted into the net for the equaliser. There was still time for Michael Campbell to put the ball in the other net but he was ruled off side, yet another suspect desicion.

Only Southam took advantage of this slip up with Pershore losing and Highgate involved in a 0-0 draw. One game away from the half way mark and it's tight at the top. Still any one from five can win this league but who is going to put a run together and break away!!!

Team:- Chris Butler, Andy Sutherland, Neil Kitching, Lee Hunt, James Dance, Ryan Scott (Sam Chatwin), Josh McPherson, Kris Kelsall, Brian Gray (Michael Campbell), Matty Robinson (Danny Carter), Stuart Adamson. Subs not used Ben Usher, Simon Volante.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2007-2008”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest