Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin

Cadbury Athletic 1 v 3 Coleshill Town

Postby Alan Beckett » Tue May 06, 2008 3:12 pm

Saturday 3rd May 2008
Midland Combination Premier Division
Cadbury Athletic 1 v 3 Coleshill Town
Scorers: Matty Robinson, Michael Campbell, Danny Carter.

One last big effort and the title was ours. To their credit, Cadbury's fielded a near full strength side, the only omission being cup tied David Glaze who was on the bench. This gave Coleshill the opportunity to say no one lay down for them but, in my opinion, Athletic's big game was on the monday and they would have best advised to concentrate on that.

Coleshill Manager Carl Adams went for an unchanged team again. The omens were good, Town usually do well at Triplex and Danny Carter always scores, they wore their lucky all white strip, the pitch was good, the weather fine, good crowd, just the small matter of three points needed!

Cadbury took no notice whatsoever of the omens and were the better team in the first half. Maybe it was the occasion, a little bit of inexperience here and there, or just a good home side but Town were second best even taking into account a definite penalty shout when Michael Campbell went down in the box. On 8 mins Greg Ellard took a free kick for the home team and when Craig Johnson shouted for the ball but then retreated Adam Ainge was free to back header the ball into the net. That wasn't in the script! Coleshill were level just three minutes later. Richard Kavanaugh swung in, left footed, a sweet free kick and Matty Robinson deftly headed the ball into the corner of the net for his 31st of the season. Matty had cut his eye a couple of weeks ago and needed six stitches and after a knock it appeared to open up the old injury but in fact this was a new cut which again poured with blood. He had to leave the pitch several times to get re-bandaged bringing to mind Terry Butcher. Neil Kitching headed over a Dance corner from infront of goal, Oliver Hartill saw his free kick tipped over the bar by Johnson, Ainge hit the outside of the post from another free kick and Ellard shot wide as Cadbury upped the pressure. Full back Chris Jones got into the box and Johnson did well to save at his feet. Athletic were taking no prisoners and Simon Volante was took out as he sent Robinson clear. Johnson again saved at the feet but this time of Kieron Bennett as Cadbury pushed foward and Coleshill defended desperately. Roll on half time!

A chance for Adams to work his magic and settle the lads down. Out they came for the last 45 minutes of the season and a much improved half it was. A Lee Hunt clearance set Campbell free, his strong run too much for the defence but Jamie Atkins in the home goal made a good stop. Ellard blatently took out Dance and Johnson was fouled from a corner. Campbell fed Dance who shot over and Kavanaugh fed Carter who jincked in and out then had a shot blocked on the 6 yard line. In not one of his better games Carter had time and space but wasted it as the Athletic defence got back. Carter then Robinson forced corners and the pressure paid off on 58 minutes. James Dance floated a free kick into a crowd of players and Michael Campbell stabbed the ball home. Nose's in front but again nerves were jangling! Bennett got into Town's box but Dance was back to clear, Johnson, under pressure, dropped a long throw in into the path of Ellard but the shot came straight back into Johnson's hands. Substitute David Glaze shot over before Campbell nearly won it for the Coleman with a powerful run from the half way line that Atkins saved with his feet and Campbell could only knock the rebound over the bar. On 77 minutes the Town bench went wild as Dance pinched the ball in midfield, ran at the defence, passed inside to Carter for a tap in, a 3-1 lead, and surely the title! Carter was back again minutes later his shot saved and a follow up shot from Kavanaugh went just wide. Glaze had a goal bound shot defected away for a corner, Johnson came out to punch, Hartill's free kick was headed clear by Kavanaugh and Bennett shot straight at Johnson as the time slowly ebbed away, and finally the whistle and Coleshill Town were Champions of the Midland Combination Premier Division 2008.

It's only took 32 years of blood sweat and tears to get to this point so everyone connected with Coleshill are going to enjoy this moment. Congratulations to Carl Adams, his assistants John Scott and Alan Taylor and of course the Coleshill Town team. Well Done Lads!!!

Manager Carl Adams said "This is fantastic for me and the club. I can't believe the run we have been on and the belief of the lads that we could do it. I'd like to thank the Coleshill comittee for taking a chance on me and having faith when things weren't going too well. I have taken some stick from a certain web site and from the managers of Walsall Wood and Southam but their attitude only made me more determined. I always believed I was the man to take this club forward, all I needed was a bit of time. As it turned out all I needed was 7 months. My players have done the talking for me and I am so proud of them all".

Team: Craig Johnson, Andy Sutherland, Richard Kavanaugh, Lee Hunt, Neil Kitching (capt), James Dance, Simon Volante, Steve Smith, Matty Robinson (Lee Millard), Michael Campbell, Danny Carter (Kristain Kelsall). Subs not used Josh McPherson, Ryan Scott, Dave Davies.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2007-2008”