First Team News

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin

Coleshill Town have 'nothing to lose' in FA Cup challenge

Postby Alan Beckett » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:09 am

Coleshill Town have 'nothing to lose' in FA Cup challenge
Writes the Coleshill Herald

COLESHILL Town head into a "massive" FA Cup clash against higher level opposition this weekend, with boss Paul Casey insisting his players have absolutely nothing to lose.

Town have sprung more than a few surprises in the famous magical cup and they will be hoping to do the same again as they travel to Halesowen Town on Saturday.

Casey said: "The FA Cup is always massive, especially when playing a team two leagues above us.

"We have nothing to lose. If we lose, we lose. It is a winnable game. It is all about the magic of the cup. Last year we went five rounds and this is our third round this year.

"It is possible that we aren't going in as massive underdogs. I don't think anybody would be that surprised if we won because of the nature of past results and our players."

Halesowen currently ply their trade two league levels above Coleshill in the Evo-Stik Northern Premier League and Casey is under no illusions of the huge task in hand this weekend.

Assessing the challenge ahead, Casey said: "It will be a hard game.

"We have some players who have played for Halesowen and I live five minutes from the ground myself. I know the management. They had a tough pre-season but they have some excellent players.

"We are really looking forward to it. We will not be at full strength but we will go there and give it our best shot. Even if we had a full strength squad it would still be a hard game. The key is to make no mistakes – no mistakes, no bad luck, no injuries and no illness."

Coleshill go into the cup tie having taken four points from the bank holiday period.

A fine 2-1 away win at Walsall Wood was topped off with a 1-1 draw away to Coventry Sphinx.

"We were very good and did a job on Walsall Wood," recalled Casey.

"On Monday (against Coventry Sphinx) I made five changes and to be honest it showed.

"I think some might have been out on Sunday night which is disappointing but it is the nature of the beast. It was a point gained I think.

"We have won four and drawn one in the league with holidays and players being away. I think this Saturday is the last time we will have players unavailable which will give me a headache in the future but it is a good problem to have."

Coleshill will be without Rob Evans, Dean Rathbone, Thomas Weale, Mykel Beckley and Sam Brooks, whom Sutton Coldfield Town FC have made unavailable due to not wanting him being cup tied, for the game against Halesowen.

Return to “First Team News”