First Team News

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin

Carter relishing local derby test and clash with big guns

Postby Alan Beckett » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:15 pm

Carter Relishing Local Derby Test And Clash With Big Guns
Writes The Coleshill Herald

COLESHILL Town striker Danny Carter believes his side's strength in depth will be tested over Christmas.

Coleshill face a busy three days as they travel to Atherstone on Christmas Eve before hosting Midland Alliance leaders Coventry Sphinx on Boxing Day.

It's a testing double header that Carter is relishing but he said: "It will stretch us as a squad because it's going to be very hectic.

"It's going to be hard for Atherstone and ourselves to play two games in three days.

"But it's a chance to show what a good squad we have and I'm sure that we have the players to pick up two good results."

Looking to the Atherstone clash, Carter said: "It should be tasty.

"There are a few ex-Dosthill Colts players in the Adders squad, I believe, or there have been.

"So quite a few of the lads will know each other and will want to put one over their rivals.

"When you know players in the opposition team, you want to have the bragging rights.

"You want to have the edge when it comes to the banter after the game."

Carter added: "The Sphinx game should also be a good one.

"They have had a great start to the campaign and will want to maintain their momentum going into the New Year.

"But everyone is capable of beating anyone this season, so we don't fear them.

"It's a great season actually this year.

"In previous seasons, the likes of Barwell, Leamington and Romulus have dominated the division and sides have been playing for second-placed from day one.

"But it's different this year and seven or eight teams are in with a shout. It's just whoever puts a run together."

Carter, meanwhile, believes the arrival of striker Richard Gregory from Willenhall will boost his goalscoring form.

"I had a bit of a lean spell a few weeks back and I wasn't happy playing in the formation we were using, a 4-3-3," he said.

"It didn't suit my game but we switched to a 4-4-2 and I feel much happier.

"Richard has also arrived and I think we will link up really well together.

"He's a quality player who can see a pass before anyone else and I think we will play off each other well.

"Having someone like Richard, who can score goals, also relieves the weight of expectation on me a bit as well, which I think is important for the team."

Return to “First Team News”