First Team News

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin

Adams admits his side are in a real battle to beat the drop

Postby Alan Beckett » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:17 pm

Adams admits his side are in a real battle to beat the drop
Writes the Coleshill Herald
COLESHILL Town boss Carl Adams watched his side slip to a 3-0 home defeat to Stratford on Saturday and admitted: "We're in a relegation scrap."

Coleshill have slipped from comfortable mid-table to fourth from bottom of the Midland Alliance following a string of poor results recently.

And, with three teams expected to be relegated, Adams accepts his side now face a desperate scrap to stay in the division.

"We're in trouble, there's no getting away from that," he said.

"It's a proper dogfight down the bottom and the problem we have is that, while we have been sliding, other teams down there have come into a little bit of form.

"We are going to have to battle and scrap now to stay in the division and, for me as manager, this is a huge test.

"I'm used to a decent level of success as a manager but this would rank as my best achievement now, keeping the club up.

"We have the players here. I know these lads are capable of delivering performances.

"I would say we need three wins from the last eight games to stay up and the sooner we can get them, the better."

Adams' men face a crucial week with a trip to Heather St John on Saturday followed by a home game against Dunkirk on Tuesday night.

The Coleshill boss is hoping to bring in new faces to bolster his squad with former midfielders Chris Lloyd and Andy Cameron plus striker Liam Gibbins set to return to Packmeadow.

"Hopefully, some fresh faces will give us a boost for what are a big couple of games," said Adams.

"We need to dig in now and grind out some results and these are games that we need to be looking at to get results from."

With Coleshill struggling, Adams admitted he was grateful for the support he had received from chairman Paul Billing.

"He's been very supportive as a weaker chairman would have probably decided to change the manager," said an honest Adams.

"It's been a difficult year for us, with the merger between Coleshill and Dosthill.

"I'm not using that as an excuse because I still have a squad capable of finishing mid-table.

"But it has been tough for us as a club and I appreciate the backing I have had from Paul.

"As a manager, I've had a lot of good times. This is just one bad year and hopefully we can pull away from the bottom six quickly.

"I love Coleshill and I'm determined to get us out of this situation and then kick on next season."

Return to “First Team News”