WE MEET AGAIN – STOURPORT SWIFTS

First Team News

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin

Postby Alan Beckett » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:36 pm

There has been a football team in Stourport since 1882. The name of 'SWIFTS' was given to it by the promoters, not really sure what this means but that’s the information I have! They played in the Worcestershire Combination, (now the Midland Combination) and the West Midlands League, before promotion to the Midland Alliance in 1998 and after winning the championship in 2001 were promoted once again to the Southern League. They managed to remain there for ten years before being relegated back to the Alliance for the start of this season.
This is where I’m a bit confused. Stourport’s web site states that the club was in the Worcestershire League from 1970 for eight seasons but the Midland Combination records show the Swifts in their leagues just before and just after the Second World War but there is no record of them during the 70’s! Strange! If they had been in the Mid Com at that time they may well have come across Coleshill who were in the Com from 1967 all the way through to 2008.
But in fact the two teams have never met before, as far as I’m aware! If you know different please let me know!

So, for a first ever meeting, it's a big match for both clubs. Following the 1-0 defeat to Westfields on saturday, Coleshill are back in the bottom three and are desperate to put a few results together to get out of the relegation places. Swifts were looking like the only team capable of catching Stratford at the top of the table and have been in second place most of the season, but they also lost on saturday, to Gornal, and are now 19 points behind Stratford Town. They will now be desperate to get back on track. Here's hoping for a cracking game!

A very boring “We Meet Again” as we haven’t! But I have to fill the page with some Coleshill History and the best I can do is recall a game with StourBRIDGE in 1996.
Coleshill met Stourbridge in the Birmingham Senior Cup, at Packmeadow on Saturday 12th October 1996.
The Sunday Mercury wrote:
Penalty Agony For Sad Town
Coleshill Town were left to rue a second half penalty miss as they slipped to a 3-1 defeat against Stourbridge. Trailing at half time from a great 20 yard strike by Mark Williams, they were thrown a 58th minute lifeline – but Brian Thursman missed from the spot. Stourbridge then scored twice in as many minutes through Albert Johnson (69) and a Clive Walker penalty (71). Paul Mountney scored a late consolation goal for Coleshill.
NB Paul Mountney later became Youth Team coach.

Return to “First Team News”