THIS WEEK 2012/13 No34

First Team News

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2176
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

THIS WEEK 2012/13 No34

Postby Alan Beckett » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:30 pm

THIS WEEK 2012/13 No34

25 Years ago, 1987/88

Saturday 19th March 1988
Midland Combination
Coleshill Town had no game this week-end.

P26 W10 D7 L9 F38 A30 Pts27 Pos 8/19

50 Years Ago 1962/63

Saturday 23rd March 1963
Birmingham Youth & Old Boys League, Mercian Division
Coleshill Hall 4 v 2 Coleshill Town
Coleshill Chronicle Wrote:
Coleshill Hall entertained Coleshill Town and retained their unbeaten record with a 4-2 success.

P15 W10 D1 L4 F51 A25 Pts21 Pos 5/15

100 Years Ago 1912/13

Saturday 22nd March 1913
Coleshill Charity Cup Semi Final
Arley Villa 0 v 4 2ns South Staffordshire Regiment

Easter Monday 24th March 1913
Coleshill Charity Cup Final
Coleshill Town 1 v 6 2nd South Staffordshire Regiment
Scorers: .
Coleshill: Harbage.
South Staffs: Ray 3, Jones, Birch, Whitehouse.
Coleshill Chronicle Wrote:
There was a record crowd for a football match in Coleshill on Easter Monday afternoon, when Coleshill met the 2nd South Staffordshire Regiment in the final of the Coleshill Charity Cup. The regiment team had a strong following of supporters from Whittington Barracks. Both clubs had their full teams out.
Clare won the toss and decided to kick down hill. The South Staffs kicked off and following a centre by Whale, Ray got possession and Hinton had to be smart to clear. The soldiers again returned to the attack and Neville cleared well when the home goal was in danger. Coleshill then got going and Freeman put in a long shot which passed just over the bar. A moment later Foster had to run out to clear when the backs were beaten. Coleshill continued to press strongly but the defence of the South Staffs was magnificent. Bundy in particular doing excellent service. Two corners were forced, following the second of these the ball was got away but Jones put it out to Ray who immediately shot at a range of 30 to 40 yards, the ball travelled at great pace and Hinton, making no attempt to stop, the visitors were thus given the lead. Coleshill forwards tried for the equaliser and shortly afterwards Grout cleverly saved a dangerous situation, placed the ball with excellent judgement to his forwards and after some smart passing by the inside men Harbage equalised amid great excitement. The game was now contested at a remarkable pace, both sides putting in a great amount of energy. Wright had a chance to put Coleshill ahead with Foster out of goal but his shot was wide of the post. Following a smart centre by Ray, Whitehouse had a golden opportunity to add to the visitors score but handled the ball and from the goal kick Coleshill’s forwards again got away. After Foster had thrown away from Wright, Grout failed to stop a long pass from the Staffs right wing and Jones got to the ball and looked certain to score but Hinton saved splendidly. A free kick against Neville for a foul only just outside the penalty area brought disaster to Coleshill. The ball was placed nicely to Whale whose centre was well met by Ray who headed through. Only a few minutes after, another free kick against Neville, this time for “hands”, led to another goal. This time the offence was committed practically in the centre of the penalty area line and Jones took the kick and shot with great force, Hinton did well to stop the ball, but before he could clear, Ray dashed up and put the ball in to the net. Coleshill did not give up trying and three corners were taken by them in quick succession but the Soldiers defence prevailed. Half time came with the South Staffs leading by 3 goals to 1.
On resuming, the visitors were not long in adding to their score. Owing to a misunderstanding between Freeman and Grout, Freeman centred into his own goal mouth, where Jones met the ball and easily scored. Shortly afterwards, Hinton distinguished himself in dealing with a fine shot from Whale. For a time Coleshill held their own well but the forwards lacked combination and they rarely looked like scoring. Foster did well to get rid of a great shot by Clive and only managed it at the expense of a corner. The kick was cleared and the soldiers, getting away again, Hinton made a magnificent save. A free kick well taken by Freeman gave Foster some difficulty to clear. A fifth goal for the soldiers was scored by Birch, right half back, who sent in a magnificent shot from just over the half way line, the ball dropping under the bar and giving Hinton no chance whatsoever. From the kick off Coleshill’s forwards went down and won a corner but the danger was quickly relieved and afterwards South Staffs added another to their total. Few realised that a goal had been scored until the referee pointed to the centre. The Coleshill defence made no effort to prevent Whitehouse scoring and their protests were unheeded by the referee. Shortly afterwards the whistle blew and the south Staffs had gained an easy victory by 6 goals to1.
At the conclusion of the game Mr Arthur Wall presented the cup to the winners and congratulated them on their fine display. He said no person who was without bias could help admitting that the best team had won. The result of the match was a keen disappointment to Coleshill supporters but except during the first half hour, the homesters never looked like winning.
Team: Goal; Hinton; Backs, Neville and Grout; Half Backs, Freeman, Clare, and Clive; Forwards, Nichols, Wright, Harbage, Finlan and Williams.

P7 W4 D1 L2 F16 A15 Pts9

Depending on the year, it is sometimes very difficult to pick up good information! If you are able to help with facts and figures or even photographs please contact the web site. Many Thanks.

Return to “First Team News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest