First Team News

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin

Coleshill target top eight as Alliance campaign begins

Postby Alan Beckett » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:33 pm

Coleshill target top eight as Alliance campaign begins
Writes the Coleshill Herald

COLESHILL Town boss Paul Casey wants to guide his side to the top eight this season.

But he admits his 'talented' players will need to show the same hunger and desire if they are to achieve that target.

Casey believes he has assembled a gifted group of players ahead of the new Midland Alliance campaign.

And pre-season results have suggested likewise with Coleshill winning five out of six pre-season games including victories over Bolehall and Stratford.

But Casey, while excited, is not getting too carried away.

He said: "We have done well in pre-season and I am excited for the campaign ahead.

"I think we have a better squad than last season.

"We are more settled and have some very good, talented players.

"I feel that we are a club on the up and, on our day, we will be a match for any team in the Alliance.

"The question has to be have the lads got the desire to win anything?

"They have the ability but if they can show the desire to match mine, I think we could do really well.

"We are not getting carried away by pre-season results. You won't see me jumping up and down about them.

"But there have been some signs of real promise.

"The highest position that this club has achieved in the Alliance is eighth spot. If we could get to that point, I would be delighted."

Coleshill travel to Gornal Athletic on Saturday before hosting Alvechurch on Tuesday night.

But Casey will be missing several players.

"Out of a squad of 22 players, we only have about 16 to choose from this weekend," said Casey. "We have lads away while Dominic Reece and Danny Tynon are suspended.

"But we still have a strong side to put out and hopefully we can start well.

"Gornal have a new manager (Brian Knight) and he will be looking to impress.

"So it will be a tricky first test for us but we are looking forward to it."

Casey is set to be boosted by the arrival of striker Scott James from Tamworth.

"Dale (Belford) has agreed for Scott to come back here on loan," said Casey. "We are very pleased to get him into the club.

"He wants to get 40 games under his belt. There's no point in him just watching football.

"He needs game under his belt to strengthen him up and Dale understands that.

"Scott's a busy player, someone who excites people and likes a tackle.

"He has a bright future and has the potential to play at a decent level.

"If he can get some games under his belt with us, he can then go back to Tamworth a stronger player."

Return to “First Team News”