First Team News

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin

Coleshill Town boss Casey hails his FA Vase heroes

Postby Alan Beckett » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:30 pm

Coleshill Town boss Casey hails his FA Vase heroes
Writes the Coleshill Herald

COLESHILL Town boss Paul Casey declared his side’s FA Vase success over Long Eaton United as ‘the best moment’ of his managerial career.

Extra-time goals from Chris Gumery and Matt Brown fired Coleshill into the third round of the Vase for only the second time in their history – the first time being 2007.

Their 2-0 success has now earned them another away day to Leicestershire-based Holwell Sports.

And manager Casey said: “I am just so proud of everyone at the club – the players and the staff.

"It was a fantastic day on Saturday. Everyone was so happy at the end – the chairman was even singing in the bar at the end.

“His singing was as bad as some of the players in the changing rooms!

“It’s just incredible for the club though, an amazing feeling. I am absolutely over the moon.

“I never dreamed that we would get this far in the competition.

“I only ever got to the first round as a player. This is the best achievement of my managerial career.”

Progress, Casey says, was also well deserved after a hard-working performance on the day.

He said: "The Long Eaton game was the performance of the season.

"From the first five minutes until the last minute of the 120, the players were superb for me.

"Physically, they dealt with the occasion superbly and kept going until the end.

"We should have won the game in 90 minutes. They had one shot and we had six or seven very good chances.

"It had to go into extra time in the end but, again, we kept on going and deservedly got our rewards.

"We have to face Holwell next and that will be difficult. They have beaten Rocester and Quorn from the Alliance already this season.

"So we know it will be a difficult game for us and a tricky away day.

"But I enjoy the away days and the lads here are fantastic so we will really look forward to the tie when it comes around."

That clash takes place on Saturday, December 7 when the winners will receive £1500 in prize money.

In the meantime, Coleshill host Alliance leaders Tividale on Saturday and Casey said: "They are unbeaten and so it's a real test for us and we won't be expected to get anything.

"But it's a game between two high-scoring sides so anything can happen."

Coleshill welcome back Jazz Luckie and Dan Holgate to their squad this weekend. The pair were cup-tied for the FA Vase clash with Long Eaton.

Coleshill were beaten 1-0 by Tamworth in the Birmingham Senior Cup on Tuesday.

Return to “First Team News”