Page 1 of 1

COLESHILL POST - 4 CTFC HISTORY PART 3.

Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:53 am
by Alan Beckett
COLESHILL TOWN FOOTBALL CLUB HISTORY – PART 3.

Coleshill played their football in the Birmingham Youth & Old Boys AFA from 1906 until 1912 when they joined the Trent Valley League (Tamworth based). A very successful season followed with Town reaching the Semi Final of the Leamington Hospital Cup before losing to Coventry Catholics. They also got to the Final of the Coleshill Charity Cup but unfortunately lost heavily to 2nd South Staffordshire Regiment 6-1 and finished as Runners Up in the league but the year was capped by lifting the Chapel End Cup. Coleshill travelled to Nuneaton on Saturday 19th April 1913 to play Earl Shilton Vics in front of a crowd of more than 500. Shilton took the lead but Coleshill hit back through Williams and Wright to win the game. The team was Hinton, P.Neville, J.Nichols, Freeman, Grout, Clive, Clare, Wright, Thorneycroft, Finlan and Williams. The Coleshill Chronicle wrote: “News of the victory caused great satisfaction among local followers of the game and a considerable number met the team at Forge Mills on the 8.50pm train and gave the winners a hearty cheer. On arriving in High Street the captain, J.Clare, was carried shoulder high to the club room at the Swan Hotel”. Coleshill were only in the Trent Valley League for one season and went back to BYOB but this again was only for one season as they had to take a break due to the First World War.

After the war the football club reformed for the 1919/20 season as Coleshill United and joined the Sutton & District League and they remained in the Sutton League for 27 years with another enforced break, this time for the Second World War. Their most successful year during this period was 1926/27 when they won the Coleshill Charity Cup, the Andre Cup and were Champions of the Sutton League Division 1, their first league success, without losing a single game. Coleshill won the Coleshill Charity Cup three more times, 1923, 1933 and 1935. In the 1935/36 season they were joint winners of the Sutton Dispensary Cup, the final on 2nd May with Walmley was drawn and so the teams shared the cup. Information about the club’s history during this period, between the wars, is very sketchy and needs much more research. If anyone can help with fixtures/results/paper clippings or photographs please get in touch.

The Coleshill Charity Cup continued to be a popular and prestigious trophy for local teams. Proceeds from the competition were donated to Birmingham General Hospital until 1940 in which time more than £500 had been raised. After the war it was decided that all monies would go to Coleshill Nursing Association and St Gerard’s Hospital. Dr Arthur Cant was President for many years and his son Dr Richard Cant took over in 1953. The highest recorded crowd was in 1949 when 2500 saw Hurley United beat Wilnecote in a replay. That season the secretary was Mr E.Hill who had been a committee member for 21 years. His predecessor, Mr H.Edwards was also a referee and officiated at all semi finals and finals during his term of office. Winners over this period included Fillongley, Arley, Hams Hall and North Warwickshire Colliery. Baddesley Liberal Club won the Cup for three consecutive years in 1950, 51 and 52 and Coleshill Town, Coleshill Hall, Kingsbury Colliery and Sutton Town all won the trophy for two years running.

On reforming after the 2nd World War Coleshill Town again joined the Sutton & District Amateur League. Times were hard and the secretary Mr L.G.James made a plea for equipment. “A Mr Howe, an ex-serviceman recently returned from India, was thanked for his generous offer to give the club an almost new football”. Coleshill Chronicle. The early 50’s was a successful period for Town as they won the Sutton Dispensary Cup in 1952, beating Bell Villa 5-0 in the final, they also reached the final of the Lewis Cup the same season but lost to Castle Bromwich. The next year, 1952/53, they finished Champions of Division 1, won the Lewis Cup and were losing finalists in the Butler Cup and Sutton Dispensary Cup. They retained the Butler Cup the following year, 1953/54, and were Champions once again in 1954/55. 1955/56 saw the Town lift the Butler Cup once again and finish 3rd in the league. In fact between 1952 and 1956 they never finished outside the top three, so it was time to move on again and for the 1956/57 season they moved back to the Birmingham Youth & Old Boys League. Town went on to win the Suburban Division in 1959, losing just one game all season and were promoted to the Mercian Division where they finished runners up to Allens Cross in their first season. For the next few years Town struggled to make an impact on the Mercian League. During this period their greatest rivals were Coleshill Hall Hospital and the Hall were generally the dominant team but in 1966 the Hall folded and the cream of their team joined Town and immediately the clubs fortunes took a turn for the better.
MORE IN PART 4.