WE MEET AGAIN - Kirby Muxloe

First Team News

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2174
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

WE MEET AGAIN - Kirby Muxloe

Postby Alan Beckett » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:08 pm


Coleshill Town and Kirby Muxloe have only ever met in the Midland Alliance. Coleshill were promoted to the Alliance from the Midland Combination in 2008 and Kirby joined them a year later from the Leicestershire Senior League. Since then the two sides have had eight hard fought and close games with not much to choose between them. Last season, despite a difficult season, Coleshill did the “double” over Kirby winning 2-1 both home and away, the first time either side had done so! This year, Coleshill are having a much better time and are currently in 5th place whilst Kirby are in 16th place with seven wins from their 18 games with three of those coming away from home. On Saturday they lost to Tividale 3-2, not a bad score line against a team who have only dropped four points all season.


2012/13 Home 2-1 Leon Weller, Chris Lloyd. Away 2-1 Jon Powis, James Travis.
2011/12 Home 2-2 Jason Ramsey 2. Away 1-2 Danny Carter.
2010/11 Home 0-1 Away 1-1 Danny Carter
2009/10 Home 2-0 Luke Williams, Marvin Johnson. Away 0-0

P8 W3 D3 L2 F10 A8

Saturday 2nd February 2013
Midland Alliance
Coleshill Town 2 v 1 Kirby Muxloe
Attendance: 36.
Town: Leon Weller 45, Chris Lloyd 75.
Kirby: Aaron Preston 60.

Team: Paul Hathaway, Lewis Bishop, Ashley Bradshaw, Jack Hullin, Luke Edwards, Aaron Hughes (David Tonks), Cameron Jones (Darius Dakin), Jon Powis, James Travis (Chris Cowley), Leon Weller, Chris Lloyd. Subs not used Greg Dickie, Keiron James-Clarke.

Coleshill gained a valuable three points when they secured a "double" over Leicestershire based Kirby Muxloe but as in the first game, a draw would probably have been the fairest result, the difference coming from Chris Lloyd's determination in the 70th minute. The result dragged Town out of the bottom three on goal difference but there are some tough games coming up, no more so than next week against the old enemy Highgate United a true "six pointer".
Kirby played some good football but the majority of the action was in the middle of the park with neither keeper being seriously tested in the opening exchanges. Kirby's Aaron Preston had the best chance after 20 minutes but hit the side netting when well placed. Coleshill's best chance came when Cameron Jones's fine run down the right found Leon Weller but he also hit the side netting when he should have really tested the keeper. Chris Lloyd had a goalbound shot blocked as Coleshill forced a series of corners, then a run to the bye line by Lloyd looked promising but his cross along the 6 yard line didn't reach Weller as the visitors keeper intercepted. Kirby hit back and in the same attack hit the post and had an effort cleared off the line. On the stroke of half time Jones fed David Tonks who got to the bye line and pulled the ball back to the far post to the waiting Weller who headed back across goal and into the net, 1-0 Coleshill.
Whether it was Coleshill sitting on their lead or Kirby upping the pace is unsure but the visitors had the better opportunities in the second half. No7 had a goalbound shot from distance blocked, then keeper Paul Hathaway called for the ball just as Luke Edwards was heading backwards and Preston nipped in, fed No9 who shot against the bar, a massive let off for Coleshill. Preston, Kirby's best player, then stung the hands of Hathaway with a rasping shot that was well saved, but Kirby got their just reward when they equalised on the hour. An easy, predictable ball over the top left Preston in the clear and he calmly lobbed the advancing Hathaway, oh dear 1-1. The one thing manager Paul Casey has brought to the Coleshill side is a fighting spirit and Town dug deep to force their way back into a game they looked in danger of losing. The improved effort paid off when a fine through ball by David Tonks found Lloyd. The forward still had lots to do but his determination took him past two defenders and he managed to squeeze the ball under the advancing keeper and the ball trickled into the net, relief 2-1. Kirby pushed hard to level but Coleshill held firm and may even have extended the lead in the last minute as Tonks again fed Lloyd but this time his effort went wide of the post.

Return to “First Team News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest