First Team News

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin

Coleshill Town keeper Hathaway targets FA Vase glory

Postby Alan Beckett » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:30 pm

Coleshill Town keeper Hathaway targets FA Vase glory
Writes the Coleshill Herald

Coleshill Town goalkeeper Paul Hathaway says his team-mates will approach their FA Vase clash with Dunston UTS full of optimism despite being massive underdogs for this Saturday's clash.

The Midland Alliance side head to Newcastle tomorrow, before taking on former Vase winners Dunston on Saturday (kick off 3pm).

And Hathaway says the squad will relish the challenge that lies ahead of them.

"Of course, it's a tough game for us but you would expect that at this stage," he said.

"I have been involved in some FA Cup qualifying round games but this is the furthest I have ever gone in a national competition.

"We have a lot of young lads here too and it will be the same for them.

"We will be the underdogs but that's fine with us. I still believe we can go there full of optimism. There's no point going there thinking you will be beaten anyway - you might as well stay at home if that's your attitude.

"We will be making a weekend of it so we will travel on the Friday. That means we will be fresh on the day of the game. We will prepare the right way.

"The game will be played on a decent pitch as well I am sure and that will give us the chance to express ourselves. We just can't wait for the game now to be honest - it's what we have all been talking about for weeks."

Coleshill go into the clash on the back of a 6-4 defeat at the hands of Loughborough University in the Midland Alliance on Saturday.

And Hathaway hopes the side have got a 'bad day at the office' out of their system.

"I think quite a few of us owe the manager a performance after that defeat," he said. "Maybe when we went in front our minds just switched off from the league game and we looked ahead of ourselves.

"Whatever happened it was disappointing and we need to bounce back. The Dunston manager was at the game and he must think they will have it easy this weekend. Perhaps that might work in our favour."

Whatever happens this weekend, Hathaway says Coleshill have a lot to look forward to for the rest of the season under manager Paul Casey.

"He came in last season at a tough time and steadied the ship at Coleshill," said Hathaway. "He then got us playing good attacking football and we have carried things on this year.

"We are in the top six and I still believe we can make the top three. It's just nice to be in a position where we are not looking over our shoulders at the bottom.

"Instead we are looking at the sides directly above us in the top five and that's a good feeling."

Return to “First Team News”