First Team News

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin

Casey reflects on two years of progression for Coleshill

Postby Alan Beckett » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:45 pm

Casey reflects on two years of progression for Coleshill
Writes the Coleshill Herald

COLESHILL Town boss Paul Casey celebrates two years in charge at the club this week – and faces one of his toughest tests.

Casey's men, third in the Midland Premier League, host second-placed Basford United on Saturday in a massive six-pointer.

The importance of the clash, with Coleshill in the middle of a promotion battle, shows how far the club has progressed during Casey's time in charge.

He took over with the Colemen fighting to stay in the Midland Alliance but he has since turned around the club's fortunes.

"Sometimes I have to pinch myself when I think about how we have changed things in such a short space of time," said Casey.

"I am really proud of what we have done here.

"When I came in, I was the third manager in charge that season and we had to see out the campaign with a bunch of young lads.

"That year was a real learning curve for me. It was about trying to keep the club in the league and we did that. We finished 15th.

"Last season, we reached the last 32 of the FA Vase and finished fourth in the Midland Alliance.

"I think we would have finished runners-up if there had been something riding on it.

"We have really built on last season this year. We haven't really left the top three except for when we have been playing in the cups.

"To get this club from being whipping boys, fighting relegation, to be a side that challenge, has been a great achievement by all involved.

"We are now competing with the big teams of this league, the consistently good sides like the Boldmeres, Stourports and Westfields.

"That's where we are at now and the expectation levels rise with that."

Casey, though, still believes Coleshill have plenty of work to do to go that one step further in the league.

"We need to be more consistent," he said. "We are getting to where we want to be but we are nowhere near our peak yet.

"It's still a little early for us but we are doing okay. We are making progress as a club and these are exciting times."

Casey will be able to call upon the services of Danny Douglas this weekend while he could hand a debut to new signing Tyrone Armory, who has arrived from Romulus.

"He's a winger and gives us that little bit of natural width," added Casey. "So it's a good signing for us and he adds extra quality."

Chris Lloyd has left Coleshill, however, due to work commitments.

Coleshill go into the Basford game on the back of a week off after their clash at Alvechurch was postponed as a result of a water-logged pitch

Return to “First Team News”