First Team News

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin

Former Burton Albion keeper was difference - Casey

Postby Alan Beckett » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:46 pm

Former Burton Albion keeper was difference - Casey
Writes the Coleshill Herald

COLESHILL Town boss Paul Casey was full of praise for his side despite their defeat to fellow high-flyers Basford United.

The Colemen were edged out of the Midland Premier clash 2-1 to a Basford side who included former Aston Villa and England ace Lee Hendrie, plus ex-Burton Albion keeper Saul Deeney.

Indeed, it was Deeney, Casey said, who proved the key man on the day.

"It was a fantastic game of football," said Casey. "We actually played very, very well.

"We had a lot of the play and we had the best chances. It's as good as we have played all season.

"I was very pleased with how we played. It was a great game of football.

"We should have been level at 1-1 at half-time and, in the second half, we should have scored six or seven. That's not an exaggeration.

"Their keeper, Saul Deeney, has made some fantastic saves. He was the difference between the two sides, it's as simple as that.

"I would have accepted 1-1 really. When you lose a game like that, it can be hard to take it on the chin.

"But I have to say the lads have done themselves proud really.

"We were competing against a side who are financially backed to compete at a higher level," he said.

"You only have to look at the fact they have the likes of Lee Hendrie and Deeney to see that.

"They are going to finish, at the every least, in the top three and we were a match for them on the day.

"We need to take a great deal of positives out of the performance."

Return to “First Team News”