First Team News

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin

Coleshill Town boss: 'Pressure is off us'

Postby Alan Beckett » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:10 am

Coleshill Town boss: 'Pressure is off us'
Writes the Coleshill Herald

COLESHILL Town manager Paul Casey says there is no pressure on his side as they look to mount a challenge for promotion in 2015.

Although Town sit some 14 points behind Midland Premier league leaders Long Eaton United, they do have two games in hand on the big spending Derbyshire side.

And Casey believes anything can still happen after being buoyed by the weekend's 6-0 thumping of Quorn.

He said: "There is no pressure on us anymore. We are in eighth place in the league.

"It is a case of taking it one game at a time and the title is out of our hands really.

"We have two or three games in hand on some sides but it's all down to Long Eaton and Basford United to lose it.

"We will keep chasing though and it certainly sets it up nicely for the new year.

"I'm just taking it one game at a time still, our aim all along has been to improve on last year.

"If we can do that then great. Let's see where that takes us."

The battle for promotion from the Midland Premier League is a difficult one every year, with just one spot up for grabs.

That, in itself, is something which infuriates Casey.

"It's my worst frustration about this league that there is only one team which goes up," he said.

"This league will always be poor in the second half of the season for a lot teams, as there is nothing to play for. It becomes a waste of time really."

Coleshill now head into the Christmas period with Saturday's mauling of Quorn having set them up nicely for the festive period.

They host Loughborough University on Boxing Day before travelling to Boldmere St Michaels on January 2.

He said: "It will be a tough game against Loughborough, despite their position in the table.

"They are certainly no mugs, though as was shown during the week when they drew with Long Eaton United in the cup after 90 minutes, before losing in extra time.

"Boldmere is a local derby, so anything can happen.

"I know their manager (Stuart Grosvenor) really well and he will be going all out to get a result against us.

"We need to make sure that this doesn't happen. I'm looking forward to it."

Return to “First Team News”