Casey has a points target in mind as Coleshill face leaders!

First Team News

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin

Casey has a points target in mind as Coleshill face leaders!

Postby Alan Beckett » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:56 pm

Casey has a points target in mind as Coleshill Town face leaders

COLESHILL Town boss Paul Casey has targeted 76 points this season as his side prepare for a testing end to the Midland Premier campaign.

Casey's side currently lie fifth in the table on 50 points, with 16 games to go.

They travel to league leaders Long Eaton United on Saturday with Casey insisting the pressure is on the side sitting top of the pile.

He says the title is theirs to lose while his side's main focus right now is achieving more than the 75 points they accrued last year.

"That's my aim right now," Casey said. "We achieved 75 points last season and I want to beat that. Where that will take us, who knows?

"But, if we can achieve that, I will be happy with the progress we have made.

"In terms of the league title, well that's Long Eaton's to lose to be honest. We are just going about our own business with no pressure and we will see where we end up.

"I'm just really pleased with how we are doing right now. If someone had offered me that, with 16 games to go, we would be sitting seven points behind the leaders, I would have snapped their hand off.

"We have scored the second highest number of goals in the league (69) and have the second best goal difference (39).

"To me that shows what a good side we are. We are also ten points clear of sides like Quorn and Westfields, who are great clubs at this level.

"So hopefully we can push on in the final 16 games, achieve the points we are after and secure a top-six place or better."

Coleshill head into the weekend clash on the back of a 3-3 draw with fellow high-fliers Basford United.

Former Aston Villa and England midfielder Lee Hendrie scored twice for Basford and Casey said: "It's funny because he didn't stand out on the pitch, over the course of the game.

"But then he produced three or four moments of quality which sets him apart.

"In terms of the game, the conditions were not good for footballers.

"The wind affected both sides and played its part in some of the goals and chances created.

"It could have been 6-6 really. It was a game between two attacking sides, who both score a lot of goals. It was a good point for us. We are digging out results and we have to be happy with that."

Coleshill, meanwhile, have signed Quorn attacking midfielder Jacob Wright but Chris Lloyd has left the club to join Chelmsley Town.

Return to “First Team News”