Coleshill's Benjamin admits everything is going to plan

First Team News

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin

Postby Alan Beckett » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:47 am

STRIKER Shane Benjamin has admitted that everything is going along just as he expected to do at this moment in time.

Not only is he about to record his best-ever goal tally but his Coleshill Town team are now firmly in the promotion hunt.

Benjamin notched his 34th league goal of the season last weekend as Coleshill moved to the top of the Midland Premier League following a 2-0 victory over Quorn.

It was a result which delighted Benjamin, although he remains cautious when it comes to talk of the title.

"I was happy for us to go top, but there is still a lot of football to be played and we know that," he said. "Nothing is a given in football. We have to make sure we continue to turn up with the right attitude.

"We are on a 15-game unbeaten run and the whole team is flying at the moment.

"The dressing room banter is unbelievable and things are all good so we just need to continue doing things properly."

On a personal front, Benjamin is pleased to have beaten his goal target for the season and admitted that he is now on the hunt for the league's Golden Boot award.

Benjamin is currently joint top of the goalscoring rankings alongside Basford United's Ruben Wiggins-Thomas.

"To be honest I got 26 goals last season for Highgate, so I knew in myself I could score at this level," he said.

"I had set myself a target of 30 at the start of the season and have exceeded that already.

"If you add in the cup goals I'm up to 38 or 39 now. All in all it's been a good season for me."

He added: "I want that Golden Boot. I actually had a chat with the guy at Basford when we played them and we had a bit of a joke about it as we are level on goals."

Ahead of Coleshill's trip to bottom of the table Dunkirk, Benjamin admitted that his mind still remains very much focussed on helping his team across the line when it comes to gaining promotion.

"The bread and butter is the league, for me that is the main focus," he added. "I said from the beginning that we could win it. We had a few new players join in the summer and it took us some time to gel as a team in order to get that balance right.

"We don't underestimate anyone in this league. Look at the weekend, Alvechurch beat Basford, so we will have to go into this game being wary," he added.

N.B. Unfortunately I think Shane has got his sums wrong. At the time of this article Benjamin has 26 league goals and 8 cup giving a grand total of 34. However, I am in no doubt that the striker will go on to break the club record that currently stands at 28 league, 8 cup, 36 total held by Matty Robinson from the 2008/09 season. Another achievement Benjamin may be interested in is possible on Tuesday night when Coleshill meet Birmingham City in the Senior Cup Semi-Final. Only four Coleshill Town players have ever scored against a professional side and all Shane has to do to join that exclusive group is to do what he does best and but the ball in the back of the net.

Return to “First Team News”