First Team News

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin

Coleshill Town boss stays cool on title talk

Postby Alan Beckett » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:56 am

Coleshill Town boss stays cool on title talk

Writes the Coleshill Herald

THE race for the Midland Premier League title took another dramatic twist on Saturday and then another in midweek.

But Coleshill boss Paul Casey insists that title rivals Basford are still in the driving seat.

The Colemen moved to within three points of Basford with seven games to play, following their thumping 5-0 win away at Shepshed Dynamo.

Basford, meanwhile, slipped to a shock defeat at Kirby Muxloe, to hand Casey's men a life-line in the hunt for the league title.Basford then claimed a 2-1 win over Brocton on Wednesday night to go six points clear again but Coleshill do have a game in hand.

But Casey said: "I still think it is in Basford's hands because of the run in but, of course, I think we can do it.

"I believe 90 or 93 points will win it, I don't see either team winning seven on the bounce.

"It's going to be very exciting and it will go down to the wire."

Coleshill blasted past mid-table Shepshed and Casey was unsurprisingly full of praise for his side.

He said: "We had everybody available and it was a great game. We deserved to win and showed some great character."

And while Basford shocked many by losing 3-0 to Kirby Muxloe on Saturday, Casey wasn't at all surprised by the scoreline.

He said: "Kirby are a very good side. They play a defensive system of three at the back and two full-backs.

"We have got them on Bank Holiday Monday so hopefully we don't get beat 3-0!"

Coleshill's goal difference now looks much healthier after the weekend win and the eight-goal swing in their favour means Basford are now within reach.

Casey's men have scored a whopping 94 goals this season, almost three a game, and their defensive record is second only to fifth-placed Walsall Wood, who they host on Saturday.

Casey said: "The whole season's been built on a very reliable back four, over the last 20 games we have conceded hardly any goals.

"The forwards have had all the plaudits but I do think our midfield has been excellent.

"It's been a real team effort. They have all been doing their job properly which is why we have been successful."

Casey looked back at when he took over in 2012. The Colemen were bottom on just 12 points but have since become a leading light.

He said: "I am very proud of what we have achieved.

"We want to score 100 goals and we want more than [last season's] 78 points.

"We hope to finish the season with a trophy on the table whether it's for first or second place."

Return to “First Team News”