First Team News

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin

Coleshill Town's Casey keen to keep his heroes together

Postby Alan Beckett » Sun May 03, 2015 10:51 am

Coleshill Town's Casey keen to keep his heroes together
Writes the Coleshill Herald

COLESHILL Town boss Paul Casey says he is hopeful of keeping the majority of his squad together as he steps up his plans to build on an incredible campaign.

The Colemen secured second in the Midland League Premier Division this season, ending the campaign in emphatic fashion with an 8-2 win over Coventry Sphinx.

Now Casey is hoping to retain the services of the players who secured a top two place.

Simeon Cobourne has already signed a 12-month contract to keep him at the club next season.

And Casey said: "I want to try and keep the majority of the squad together.

"One or two will leave in the summer, that's always the case, and we also want to bring a couple in.

"But I would like to keep the core of the squad together. I have already spoken to 95 per cent of them and the feedback has been positive.

"Hopefully the lads will all be back in for pre-season and we can try to build on what has been an incredible season."

Casey admitted it had been a fantastic feeling to collect the runners-up trophy after the clash with Sphinx on Saturday.

"It was reward for what we have done," he said. "The lads deserved it. It's been a magnificent journey so far.

"When I took over we were battling the drop and since then we have reached the last 32 of the FA Vase, we have featured on BBC One, the radio and have taken Birmingham City to penalties in the semi-final of a cup.

"In the league we have scored 114 goals and conceded just 47 and now we have a runners-up trophy!

"It's been brilliant and the job now is to build on that."

Meanwhile, Tom Weale was named Coleshill player of the Year by his team-mates.

Luke Edwards was honoured by the fans and manager Paul Casey while Cobourne was named young player of the season.

Return to “First Team News”