Seven-goal blitz wins Coleshill's Shane top scorer prize!

First Team News

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin

Seven-goal blitz wins Coleshill's Shane top scorer prize!

Postby Alan Beckett » Sun May 03, 2015 10:55 am

Seven-goal blitz wins Coleshill's Shane top scorer prize on last day

Writes the Coleshill Herald

COLESHILL striker Shane Benjamin says his goal exploits took time to sink in after he was crowned the Midland Football League's top goalscorer on a sensational final day of the season.

Benjamin scored an incredible seven goals in Coleshill's 8-2 demolition of Coventry Sphinx.

It meant he finished the campaign with 47 goals, to overhaul Basford striker Ruben Wiggins-Thomas, who had topped the charts.

"It didn't really sink in what I had achieved until Sunday," he said.

"We had the game, then the end of season night out and I didn't really think about it until the next day.

"I've done it before (scoring seven) playing Sunday league but never against this kind of opposition. It is a great achievement for me."

The frontman was five goals behind his rival Wiggins-Thomas at the start of the afternoon.

But after bagging a hat-trick in the opening 28 minutes the striker realised that it might well be his day.

"As soon as I scored the hat-trick goal I thought that this is on here," he said.

"It was all about taking the chances that were on offer and thankfully I did."

Benjamin did think that his shot at glory might well have come and gone though.

"I always look to improve and wanted to do so again this year despite it being a tricky year for me," he said.

"I was leading goalscorer for a long period but then Ruben managed to edge ahead of me as I missed a few games with working shifts. I thought the chance might have gone.

"To win the top scorer honour on the last day of the season in the fashion that I did was fantastic.

"Ruben must have thought that it was in the bag for him but to pip him on the last game was great.

He added: "I'm glad that the goals have helped the team out as well.

"We have had a great season. To finish second is excellent and you can't take anything away from (winners) Basford.

"They took advantage of us having a couple of games off.

"They got the points on the board and, at the end of the day, they fully deserved it.

"We should be pleased with how we ended the season though."

All Coleshill supporters will be hoping that the striker sticks around for next season as the club look to go one better and gain promotion to Step Four.

Benjamin admitted that he hadn't given much thought about it.

"I'm going to take a step away from a couple of weeks then look forward to next season," he said. "I will then speak with Paul and see what we can sort out."

Return to “First Team News”