First Team News

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin

Coleshill Town's Casey: 'FA Cup run is reward for efforts'

Postby Alan Beckett » Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:39 pm

Coleshill Town's Casey: 'FA Cup run is reward for efforts'
Writes the Coleshill Herald

PAUL Casey yesterday reflected on a 'fantastic day' for Coleshill Town as his FA Cup kings claimed another scalp.

Fresh from disposing of Evo-Stik side Stafford Rangers, Coleshill shocked another club from the league above as they defeated Newcastle Town after a replay in the first qualifying round of the FA Cup.

Having drawn 3-3 at Tamworth FC on Saturday, Coleshill stunned their hosts by winning the replay 3-1.

They have now set up a second qualifying round clash against Evo-Stik League Northern Premier side Stamford, to be played at The Lamb on Sunday, September 27.

"It's been an incredible run so far, it really has, and it was a fantastic night on Tuesday," said Casey.

"For me, it's just reward for all the hard work we have been putting in and it's really nice to get the benefits. I have surrounded myself with a lot of good people, who have been working really hard to bring success.

"You can see the excitement in their faces now we are in this run.

"We have claimed two scalps and we are just enjoying the moment."

Casey says his side were worthy winners as they recorded a 3-1 win at Newcastle.

"It could have been more to be fair," he said. "It was a fantastic result especially in the circumstances.

"With the traffic, we didn't get to the ground until about 7.15pm. The warm up was not good and I thought we were looking sluggish as we prepared.

"I started thinking, 'we will do well to get anything here' but full credit to the players because they were absolutely superb on the day.

"It was a great performance and I am just loving this run.

"We have scored 16 goals in the FA Cup so far this season. I think Arsenal scored 15 last year in winning it!"

Coleshill switch attention back to the Midland League Premier on Saturday as they travel to Loughborough.

"Things are going well," he said. "We are building a good unit and we are getting there.

"We are still getting a bond together but I am really positive about the season ahead.

"The fitness of the players is improving and the lads are getting used to playing alongside each other. Hopefully we can now get three points against Loughborough. A win would set us up nicely going into the FA Cup clash the following week."

Tom Weale (wrist) and Danny Douglas (knee) will both miss out this weekend.

Return to “First Team News”