First Team News

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin

Coleshill Town's Casey sets sights on Vase glory

Postby Alan Beckett » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:17 pm

Coleshill Town's Casey sets sights on Vase glory
Writes the Coleshill Herald

COLESHILL Town boss Paul Casey says victory at Uttoxeter in the FA Vase on Saturday would be an 'incredible achievement' for the club.

Coleshill go into the clash knowing that a victory would put them into the last 32 of the competition.

And Casey said: "Getting into the last 32 of the Vase is, for me, the equivalent of making the first-round proper of the FA Cup or the FA Youth Cup – it's something that smaller clubs like us dream of.

"Knowing that we are one game away from achieving that goal is incredible really and I, for one, am so excited about the tie.

"It's going to be very tough. We are up against a side who have already defeated some strong teams such as Coventry United and Loughborough.

"So we will be going toe-to-toe with a very good side, a team with plenty of experience in their side. But when you get to this stage of the competition, you know that every side in it will be very strong.

"We are under no illusions about the task ahead of us but, in some ways, I think it's great that this game is away from home.

"We enjoy playing away so I don't mind going into their backyard.

"If we have the right attitude to the game, then I always fancy us in a one-off game.

"We just have to make sure that we match their desire, their energy and then hopefully we can get the right result on the day."

Coleshill go into the Vase game on the back of a 2-1 win over Westfields in the Midland Premier on Saturday.

"We deserved the win," said Casey. "It could have been 8-4 to us!

"We rode our luck at times but we also missed a lot of chances.

"I was delighted with the win though. Herefordshire is a tough place to go and so we will take that result all day long."

Coleshill Town skipper Evans is hoping for more cup joy

COLESHILL Town skipper Rob Evans says the squad are relishing their FA Vase clash at Uttoxeter on Saturday after admitting cup competitions give them a morale boost.

The Colemen have enjoyed some memorable performances in the cups this season, reaching the third-qualifying round of the FA Cup with wins over Stamford, Newcastle Town and Stafford Rangers.

They have also started their FA Vase campaign well and could reach the last 32 with success over Uttoxeter.

"It will be a tough game for us," Evans said. "They are a good side and beat Loughborough University from our league in the last round.

"So we know it will be a good test for us but we are looking forward to it.

"I wouldn't say that we have concentrated on the cups this season but they have been good for us.

"Nothing has fazed us in them. We have had to play higher league opponents and have caused a few upsets.

"The cups have been a morale-booster for us and hopefully we can keep on going in the Vase.

"If we can get through this round, we will be in the last 32 and then, should we get a favourable draw, we have a great chance to go further.

"We will go into the Uttoxeter game in confident mood after winning at Westfields in the league on Saturday.

"Our manager (Paul Casey) always lifts us for games, regardless of the previous result but going into the game on the back of the win against Westfields will certainly boost us."

That league success leaves Coleshill 12th in the table, four points off the top ten.

And Evans said: "We have still got a few games to go in the league before Christmas.

"Hopefully we will be in the top ten by then and we can kick on in the new year.

"I still believe we can make the top six this season. We have players here who are capable of stringing the kind of run needed to achieve that."

Return to “First Team News”