THIS WEEK 16, 25, 50, 75 and 100 Years Ago.
Saturday 17th September 1994
Mid Com Challenge Cup
Coleshill Town 2 v 4 Meir KA
Scorers: Ray Betham, Marvin Harper pen.
THE SUNDAY MERCURY WROTE
A resurgent Meir KA continued their recent good form with a 4-2 away victory at Coleshill Town. Meir's John Hope and Stephen Bett both netted twice as the home side rued a missed 35th minute penalty by Jimmy Stafford. But there was some joy from the spot in the last minute when Marvin Harper converted for Coleshill. Earlier Coleshill's new signing Ray Betham had scored on his debut.
Record So Far
P3 W1 D0 L2 F4 A9 Pts3
Next week Coleshill are back in league action away to Sherwood Celtic.
Saturday 21st September 1985
F.A. Vase Pre-Lim Round
Coleshill Town 3 v 0 Smethwick Highfield
No goal scorers or report available.From Non League Directory 1987,
THE ARGUS WROTE
Coleshill Town beat Smethwick Highfield but have to await a replay before they know if they travel to Wolverton or Brereton.
Next week Coleshill away to Enville Athletic in the Mid Com Challenge Cup.
Record So Far
P10 W2 D3 L5 F10 A17 Pts7
Saturday 17th September 1960
Birmingham Youth and Old Boys Senior Cup
Coleshill Hall v Coleshill Town
No result or report at present, more research required.
Next week Coleshill away to Walmley.
There appears to be no fixture September 21st. Next week Coleshill are away to Hams Hall.
Record So Far.
P1 W1 D0 L0 F2 A0 Pts2
Saturday 17th September 1910
Youth and Old Boys Senior Division 1
Coleshill Town 9 v 1 Aston Manor
Scorers: Wright 4, Watkins 2, Caswell, Williams, Clive.
COLESHILL CHRONICLE WROTE
Circumstances pointed to an interesting game at Coleshill on saturday last, when Coleshill and Aston Manor met in the Senior League. Aston Manor still required to register their first win this season, whereas Coleshill had one one and lost one against Minworth. The "Rabbits" so far had borne out the promise given by them in the practice game and they were expected to show good form. There were one or two alterations in the home team. Humphreys in goal, Clarke at right half and J Nichols at outside right, while at practically the last moment Lilley took Shaw's place at right back.
The weather was beautifully fine when Coleshill set the leather rolling down the hill and opened in promising style. Nichols swung the ball into the goal mouth and Wright had shot the ball into the net before it was hardly realised the game had started. This early success set Coleshill smiling and from the kick off they again got well into the visitors quarters and several corners were forced in quick succession. They were beautifully placed but the Aston defence managed to prevent scoring. Play transferred to the other end and the ball being taken up on the right. Aston almost caught the Coleshill defence napping. The homesters then broke away on the left and Lewis bore straight in and centred squarely for Wright to shoot a splendid goal. Soon after the same player should have done the "hat trick" but had extremely hard lines, for he just headed over from a nicely placed corner by Nichols. However, Watkins soon put on No3 with a good shot, which gave the custodian no earthly chance. Midfield play followed for a time and then the Aston forwards had a little more of the game but their efforts were very weak and the Coleshill defence had a "picnic". The next item of interest was a sprint by the Aston forwards. Then Caswell dashed in and cleared with a huge kick. The ball travelled straight for goal, dropped some yards in front of the custodian and finally bounced over his head into the net. It was undoubtedly a magnificent kick of some 70 yards range. Up to now Coleshill had not been given a chance of testing their new goalkeeper, for he was practically a spectator. Just before half time Nicholls took his 10th corner and from this Wright scored a lovely goal. Half Time Coleshill 5 Aston Manor 0.
After changing over the visitors made straight for the home goal but Lilley cleared his lines well. Then Clive set his forwards going nicely and Williams and Lewis gave the visitors defence a lot of trouble. For some time Coleshill attacked strenuously and with a little more steadiness in front of goal must have scored on several occasions. Just at the moment when the spectators were looking for a repetition of the first half a little change came on the scene. Aston got away on the right and through a misunderstanding between the Coleshill defence the Manor scored their one and only goal. This awakening had the effect of forcing the pace but it was a forgone conclusion that the "Rabbits" must win substantially. Clare broke the visitors forwards up repeatedly in a masterly way and then Watkins registered N06 and soon after Wright made the score 7. It was now a case of how big a total would it be. Nichols got along well on the right through a nice pass by Clarke and making a lot of ground centred grandly across goal to Williams who kicked No8. In the remaining few minutes Coleshill fairly bombarded the visitors goal, all of the forwards sending in some capital shots. Close on time the ball was sent well across the field, Clare was in the act of gathering it when Clive shouted "right Jack" and put a magnificent shot well in the corner of the net.
Time arrived and a one sided but pleasant game ended Coleshill 9, Aston Manor 1.
Coleshill Team: Goal: Humphreys: Backs: C.H. Lilley and W. Caswell, Half Backs: Clarke, J.C. Clare (captain) and E. Clive, Forwards: J.A. Nichols, C. Watkins, S. Wright, Lewis and C.R. Williams.
Referee Mr Smith Birmingham.
I hope we shall not see such a one sided game again at Coleshill this season. To criticise the match would be useless for the Coleshill players were never extended. Undoubtedly Nichols presence in the forward line was a vast improvement, as was also Clarke in the intermediate line, but of the goalkeeper nothing can be said at present. He had no opportunities. It is only fair to Aston Manor to say that though outplayed at every point, they gamely stuck to their work, and never gave in.
Today (saturday) we again meet them on their own enclosure, so let us hope they will give us a better game. The only alteration in the team is Shaw for Lilley at right back.
Next week Coleshill have the return game away to Aston Manor.
Record So Far.
P3 W2 D0 L1 F14 A6 Pts4
First Team News
Moderator: Alan Beckett
- First Team
- First Team Match Reports 2017-2018
- First Team Fixtures
- First Team News
- First Team Player Profiles
- First Team Match Reports 2016-2017
- First Team Match Reports 2015-2016
- First Team Match Reports 2014-2015
- First Team Match Reports 2013-2014
- First Team Match Reports 2012-2013
- First Team Match Reports 2011-2012
- First Team Match Reports 2010-2011
- First Team Match Reports 2000-2010
- First Team Match Reports 2009-2010
- First Team Match Reports 2008-2009
- First Team Match Reports 2007-2008
- First Team Match Reports 2006-2007
- First Team Match Reports 2005-2006
- First Team Match Reports 2004-2005
- First Team Match Reports 2003-2004
- First Team Match Reports 2001-2002
- First Team Match Reports 2000-2001
- First Team Match Reports 2002-2003
- First Team Match Reports 1990-2000
- First Team Match Reports 1999-2000
- First Team Match Reports 1998-1999
- First Team Match Reports 1997-1998
- First Team Match Reports 1996-1997
- First Team Match Reports 1995-1996
- First Team Match Reports 1994-1995
- First Team Match Reports 1993-1994
- First Team Match Reports 1992-1993
- First Team Match Reports 1991-1992
- First Team Match Reports 1990-1991
- First Team Match Reports 1980-1990
- First Team Match Reports 1980-1981
- First Team Match Reports 1981-1982
- First Team Match Reports 1982-1983
- First Team Match Reports 1983-1984
- First Team Match Reports 1984-1985
- First Team Match Reports 1985-1986
- First Team Match Reports 1986-1987
- First Team Match Reports 1987-1988
- First Team Match Reports 1988-1989
- First Team Match Reports 1989-1990
- End of Season Awards
- Reserve Team Match Reports
- Reserve Team Match Reports 2007-2008
- Reserve Team Match Reports 2006-2007
- Reserve Team Match Reports 2005-2006
- Youth Team Match Reports
- Youth Team Match Reports 2007-2008
- Youth Team Match Reports 2006-2007
- Youth Team Match Reports 2004-2006
- Ladies Team Match Reports
- Ladies Team Match Reports 2007-2008
- Ladies Team Match Reports 2006-2007
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest