Worst Defeat Since............?

First Team News

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin

Worst Defeat Since............?

Postby Alan Beckett » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:05 pm

Worst Defeat Since.............?

Coleshill suffered a humiliating defeat at the hands of Sutton Coldfield Town on Tuesday night but was it the worst ever result?

My records are by no means complete, and we have suffered some heavy defeats especially during the late 70's when Town struggled to finish off the bottom of the Mid Com, but I can't come up with a double figure slaughter.

Coleshill have lost 6-0 on a number of occasions, twice at the hands of Boldmere St Michaels (1988 & 1983), just last season away to Nuneaton Town in the FA Cup and the year before (2008/09) to Stratford Town in the FA Vase.

Coventry Marconi beat us 7-0 in the Midland Combination Premier division back in March 2005 but Town had three players sent off that day.

Nuneaton Griff beat us 8-1 in September 1999 on the way to winning the Mid Com Prem title.

That same year we also lost 7-1 to Massey Ferguson, 7-0 to Marconi and 7-0 to Feckenham. Not surprisingly we were relegated that season.

In a very bad season we also played Romulus in a Birmingham Senior Cup game and lost 9-1 and that is the highest defeat I have on record and some of my records go back to 1885.

So! I will continue the research but so far the Sutton disaster is officially Coleshill Town's Worst Ever Defeat!

On the bright side I can confirm we have reached double figures in winning games a few times including Alveston 11-0 in April 2007 and this is a good one for the records:- A 12-0 win over Dosthill in the Fazeley Charity Cup in November 1910.

Return to “First Team News”