First Team News

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin

Adams eyes league success to compensate for cup woe

Postby Alan Beckett » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:05 pm

COLESHILL HERALD WROTE
Adams eyes league success to compensate for cup woe
Coleshill Town could go top of the Midland Alliance if they win at home to Causway United on Saturday. Carl Adams' men have endured a mixed bag of results in recent weeks. The Colemen have had a torrid time in the cups, crashing 10-0 to Sutton Coldfield in the Birmingham Senior Cup on Tuesday night. But league form has been impressive and a 5-3 win at Heath Hayes last Saturday put Coleshill fifth, just three points behind leaders Westfields. "Saturday is a massive game for us," said Adams. "Causeway are eighth in the table and going great guns. They will be coming here full of confidence after a 9-1 win over Willenhall. I don't think there will be much between the two of us so it will be about who wants it most on the day." Adams was left to reflect on the thumping at Sutton on Tuesday and admitted he was finding it hard to put his disappointment into words. "Our league form has been really good so far," he said. "But the cup form has been shocking. Tuesday was a freak result. We actually played quite well and I know that will be hard to believe. We started quite well but then gifted them three goals and for the other goals, Sutton's finishing was just so clinical. I take my hat off to them. Sutton really impressed me and Chris Keogh has a good side there. For us, it was embarrassing but we we have to put it behind us now. We can't afford to keep harping on about it and let it destroy us. We need to use that as a kick up the backside. The cups have been a joke for us this year, which is disappointing because of the financial reward. But we still have plenty to look forward to this season. We are in the top six and we want to stay in that pack at the top."

Return to “First Team News”