First Team News

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin

Adams looking for a positive response

Postby Alan Beckett » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:26 pm

COLESHILL HERALD WRITES
Adams looking for a positive response

COLESHILL Town boss Carl Adams admits his side have had a tough couple of weeks but is looking at the positives as his side prepare for another crunch week.

Adams' men slumped to a 1-0 home defeat against Causeway United on Saturday, having exited the FA Vase, FA Cup and Birmingham Senior cups in recent weeks. They entertain Heath Hayes in the Midland Alliance on Saturday and Adams said: "We have to look at the bigger picture and it's not all doom and gloom.

"People looking in from the outside might be saying we're having a tough time.

"But we are three points off top spot in the Midland Alliance after nine games.

"If someone had said that would be the case at the start of the season I would have been delighted.

"We're doing just fine and now we are just focusing on what is a big week for us.

"Heath Hayes will be a test for us. We won 5-3 at their place a couple of weeks ago were the better side.

"The main danger this weekend will be complacency. If the lads just think they can turn up and win on Saturday, they will be in for a poor afternoon.

We have to be focused and fully committed."

Coleshill also entertain local rivals Atherstone Town in the League Cup on Tuesday night (kick off 7.45pm).

Adams said: "I don't know too much about the Adders to be honest, but it will be a big game for us.

"It's the only cup competition we have left, so we want to progress. Atherstone had a few poor results at the start of the campaign but seem to be improving, so it won't be easy.

"I'm told they have a few former Dosthill lads as well, so some of our lads will be aware of them and it will add spice to the occasion.

"Hopefully we'll get a decent crowd down for the game."

ATHERSTONE Town assistant manager Craig Ridsdill comes up against his former club Coleshill tonight in the League Cup, writes Matthew Panter.

But he insists his only focus is on Saturday’s Midland Alliance clash with struggling Alvechurch at Sheepy Road.

​Ridsdill’s arrival at Atherstone, from Polesworth, has coincided with back-to-back wins, over leaders Wesfields in the league and Wolverhampton Casuals in the FA Vase.

Ridsdill is now hoping to make it a hat-trick of victories this weekend.

“We are looking forward to Saturday,” Ridsdill said. “A few people might be looking at the cup game with Coleshill but we are taking it one game at a time.

“The focus is solely on Alvechurch. We are at home so it’s a great opportunity for us to get three more points on the board and start climbing the league table.

“The Coleshill game can wait until after Saturday. It will be an interesting one because I played for Coleshill and also know a lot of the people who were involved at Dosthill.

“But, as I say, our only priority at this moment in time is Saturday afternoon.”

Ridsdill said Atherstone’s last two performances had impressed him and he was hoping they would act as a platform for the rest of the season. “I’ve enjoyed being at the club and Mark (Grainger) has allowed me to have a hands-on role in things,” said Ridsdill.

“The key thing for us has been getting back to basics. The workrate, effort and commitment has to be there and you have to defend properly. We have seen that from the players.”

Return to “First Team News”