Coalville Town 2 v 0 Coleshill Town

First Team Match Reports 2008-2009

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2212
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Coalville Town 2 v 0 Coleshill Town

Postby Alan Beckett » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:55 pm

Monday 25th August 2008
Midland Football Alliance
Coalville Town 2 v 0 Coleshill Town

Coleshill's 1st ever game against Coalville ended in disappointment as Carl Adam's team never got out of the blocks.

Adams decided to go for the power of Neil Kitching and Michael Campbell up front with the goalscoring prowess of Matty Robinson in just behind them. This left a narrow three in midfield but on the huge home pitch the plan never worked. The strikers were fed on scraps but a rear guard battle kept a clean sheet for 75 minutes and if Stuart Adamson's effort on 72mins had been allowed, and it looked ok to me, Coleshill may have robbed the points. As it was Ville struck twice in the last 15 to gain the win that they, without a doubt, deserved.

After some research it was decided that Coalville were a good passing side and the best way to get a result was to get the ball quickly to the front two. It was a good plan, it should have worked, but I have never seen Kitch and Cammy be out musled, out jumped and out fought as they were by Coalville's centre back pairing of Tommy Goodwin and Adam Goodby. The home team on the other hand played the ball wide at every opportunity and caused problems all afternoon from crosses with the willing running of Michael Swann, Richard Saunders and later Alvin Jarvis finally benifiting from the tactic.

Coleshill's chances were limited to a possible penalty shout when Campbell went down in the box, a Kavanaugh free kick that Josh McPherson almost got to first inside the six yard box, a Campbell header just infront of the keeper and in the second half the Matty Robinson shot that was well saved, came out to Adamson to tap home but the assistant referee came to the Ravens rescue with a flag for off side. Coalville finally broke the deadlock on 75 mins when Michael Swann met a Dodd cross right infront of goal and may no mistake with his head. Coleshill could have collapsed at that but kept some kind of composure with at times desperate defending until Stuart, in the dying minutes, progressed unchallenged into the box and crossed for this time Craig Attwood to score with his head at the far post.

On this showing it's going to be a long season but 9th place and 7 points from 5 games isn't a bad start. From what we have seen so far we can compete well against most teams but the top sides, and I would count Coalville amongst them, are well ahead of us, so it's going to take some hard work or new signings, or both, to get us up there amongst them.

Team:- Craig Johnson, Andy Sutherland, Stuart Adamson, Lee Hunt, Ant Hall, Simon Volante (Steve Smith), Josh McPherson, Richard Kavanaugh, Neil Kitching, Michael Campbell (Danny Carter), Matty Robinson. Subs not used Ryan Scott, Carl Adams.

From Owen Street Sports Ground, Coalville. Attendance: 138
Coalville made sure it was a happy Bank Holiday with two late goals seeing the Ravens to a well-deserved 2-0 victory over Coleshill Town.
The meeting represented the first between the sides and it was Coalville who raced out of the blocks as they looked to assert themselves against the Midland Combination champions.

Richard Saunders burst clear in the opening minutes but had the ball taken off his toe by the out-stretched Craig Johnson in the Coleshill goal.

After that early opening though Coalville found chances hard to come by despite enjoying the lion's share of possession and territory.

Tommy Welford steered a near-post header wide while Lewis Dodd stung the fingertips of Johnson in the best of the openings.

The half-time interval saw Coalville again step up the tempo and in the opening minutes of the half Saunders sent a powerful header straight at Johnson and Swan bravely stooped to divert a near-post corner just wide.

Coalville continued to pressurise the visitor's goal but were given a warning when Stuart Adamson struck a 20-yard effort over and shortly after an offside flag ruled out a Matt Robinson effort.

The warning was well heeded by Coalville as within minutes a delighted Swan met a 75th minute cross from Dodd and powered in the opening goal.

Following that goal the match became very open with Dodd twice being denied a second Coalville goal, firstly by a last-ditch Andy Sutherland tackle and then by a strong Johnson block.

Coalville wrapped up the victory in the final minute when Cameron Stuart crossed for Craig Attwood to thump in a powerful header in what was an almost carbon copy of the opening goal.

The victory moves Coalville up to fifth in the fledgling MFA table but the Ravens will have their sights set elsewhere on Saturday as they return to FA Cup action. Coalville are on the road again for the Preliminary Round tie as they visit Southern League Midlands team Malvern Town.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2008-2009”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest