Bridgnorth Town 1 v 1 Coleshill Town

First Team Match Reports 2008-2009

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2553
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Bridgnorth Town 1 v 1 Coleshill Town

Postby Alan Beckett » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:20 am

Saturday 18th April 2009
Aspire Midland Football Alliance
Bridgnorth Town 1 v 1 Coleshill Town
Scorer: Matty Robinson pen.

Coleshill needed to avoid defeat in order to keep above Bridgnorth and therefore finish their first season in the Alliance above the two other promoted sides. 1-1 draw, job done but! the scoreline does not tell the whole story. Coleshill started the better and went, deservedly, one nil up. They then appeared to take their foot off the gas and allow the home side back into the game and they equalised a minute before half time. Bollocking duelly noted, Coleshill completely dominated the second half and even, despite playing against the considerable slope, pinned Bridgnorth in their own half. Some terrible finishing, desperate defending and an inspired performance by the home keeper, saved a Robinson penalty, all contributed to stalemate and a point for Bridgnorth that they hardly deserved.

The management made two changes to the drab win over Racing Club, Rob Evans replaced Tom Brady who was unavailable and captain James Dance returned to the side with Courtney Shaw on the bench.

I thought the officials were poor throughout the game and Ben Porter was adjudged off side when clean through in the first minute with what looked like a dodgy decision. Coleshill looked crisp and sharp but Grant Joshua hit the side netting for the home team before Town took the lead on 6 minutes. The home centre back pairing were good in the air but on the deck Porter and Robinson had the beating of them all afternoon. Matty Robinson was fouled just outside the box, Tom Starkey took a quick free kick to Ben Porter who was hauled over and the referee pointed to the spot. Robinson put away his 26th league goal of the season. Ashley Burd hit a speculative shot from 25 yards that wasn't too far away and Scott Wells got caught in possession by Jason Pike who hit a great strike that Chris Butler did well to tip around the post. Rhys Adams, who won most balls in the air, headed the resulting corner just wide of the post. Andy Penny won well in the air to head onto Anthony Bruce who headed into the ground leaving an easy pick up for Butler. Coleshill were playing some good passing football but couldn't find a break through and you got the feeling that Bridgnorth would force something to get back into the game. Sure enough just before the break an inswinging corner was misjudged by Butler, the ball hit the bar and fell kindly for Rhys Adams who nodded home from less than a yard out.

Bridgnorth never had another oportunity as Coleshill dominated the second half proceedings. Keeper Butler went off for something to eat for twenty minutes but no one knew he'd gone! Jason Lanns passed into the box, James Dance stepped over and Matty Robinson shot for goal but the keeper saved with his feet. Dance hit the bar with a cross come shot, Scott Wells powered into the box passed to Robinson who hit the side netting, Dance crossed to the far post but Tom Starkey headed wide on the stretch. Ben Porter got took down in the box and when no penalty was given he still had time to get back up and shoot but his effort was deflected for a corner. Bridgnorth's Ashley Burd raised his hands but despite lengthy talks the officials only produced a yellow card. Robinson lobbed over the bar, Wells broke free but dragged his shot well wide then in a repeat Wells got brought down in the box by Penny. Robinson's 27th of the season and the winning goal, not on your life! Bridgnorth keeper Stephen Taylor dived full length and palmed the ball up and over the bar. In a niggly game a scuffle broke out yet again and Mark Neville from the home side was sent off for a second caution. Still 15 to play. Surely Coleshill could press home their advantage! Corner after corner after corner but still no goal. Porter got away again but from a great position he shot over the bar. A Dance shot was blocked but it came back to Jason Lanns who hit the bar and then in the dying minutes Courtney Shaw, with virtually his first touch after coming on as sub had a great chance to clinch the points from right in front of goal but Taylor again made an outstanding save.

Before a ball was kicked we would have settled for a draw but I have never seen such a one sided 45 minutes and two points were lost. Two games to go, both at home and still 8th place to play for.

Team: Chris Butler, Rob Evans, Richard Munday, Chris Charles, Lee Hunt, Tom Starkey, Scott Wells, Jason Lanns (Courtney Shaw), James Dance, Matty Robinson (Neil Kitching), Ben Porter. Subs not used Steve Palmer, Lee Bloxham.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2008-2009”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest