Coleshill Town 3 v 1 Coalville Town - League Cup

First Team Match Reports 2009-2010

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2212
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Coleshill Town 3 v 1 Coalville Town - League Cup

Postby Alan Beckett » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:30 pm

Tuesday 2nd February 2010
Aspire Midland Alliance League Cup Quarter Final
Coleshill Town 3 v 1 Coalville Town
Coleshill: Andy Cameron 8, Jon Powis 78, Marvin Johnson 90.
Coalville: Lewis Dodd 60.

Match Report by Jack Arkell

On a bitterly cold night, Coleshill Town toppled the team who currently sit second in the League table to book a semi-final place in the Polymac League Cup.
Despite the torrid conditions, the home side enjoyed the best possible start when form player Marvin Johnson swung in a corner from the right hand side, his delivery proving too hot to handle for opposing 'keeper Richard Williams who could only manage to parry the ball into the path of Andrew Cameron, the simple task of scrambling the ball into the net was carried out to take an early lead. Provider Marvin Johnson continued to be a thorn in the side of the visitors, registering two attempts on target, but both efforts were well stopped by Williams.
Coalville’s first real threat came on 20 minutes, when Lewis Dodd managed to work Luke Mann between the sticks for the first time after Mann’s scuffed goal kick only found Dodd as it rolled painfully into the path of the visiting midfielder. Coalville began to keep the ball for longer periods, utilising right full back Ashley Brown in the lion share of their attacks, but Coleshill contained their dangerous wing play.
Coleshill broke the away side’s spell of possession just before the half time, Marvin Johnson dispossessed the otherwise excellent Brown, treating the home fans to a mazy run into the area, cutting inside and outside of James Dodd, but the final product gained a corner kick only, which the Greens couldn’t manage to convert into a final chance before the break.
The home side began the second half much like they ended the first, Chris Gumery and then Robert Freeman heading wide of the far post in similar chances early on after accurate centres from Leyiso Recci and Robert Evans respectively.
These missed opportunities would prove to be costly, as the away side pushed on and were rewarded with an equaliser from Lewis Dodd just before the hour mark, the play maker was fed into the left side of the penalty area, and after cutting inside, Dodd dispatched a right footed effort low into the goal, wrong footing Mann, who was at this point really struggling with an injury sustained in the first half, seemingly to his right foot. A second was almost added 10 minutes later, Cameron Stuart looping an effort towards goal from at least 25 yards, but Mann leapt well to tip over the bar.
Time was ticking away, extra time seeming imminent, until Marvin Johnson burst down the left flank for Coleshill, running inside of the area and clipping a delightful ball to substitute John Powis at the far post who prodded the ball home to grab what would turn out to be a vital goal completely against the run of play. The goal signified how much the Cup meant to the players as they congratulated Powis in a state of sheer jubilation. For the remaining 10 minutes it seemed as if Coleshill were content with keeping the ball away from their final third, but man of the match Marvin Johnson had other ideas. After a neat ball to Chris Gumery at the halfway line, Johnson continued on his run forward. Gumery carried the ball forward, unchallenged by defenders who had been outwitted by the surging move. Gumery showed great selflessness, sliding the ball back across to Johnson in the area for a third goal of the evening, Johnson’s 6th in five games.
This last gasp goal ensured that Coleshill marched on in style, sending Coalville who had been undefeated in five games crashing to a defeat, and surely now giving the Greens the confidence needed to push on and climb the league table.

Team: Luke Mann, Leyiso Recci, Stuart Hamilton, Ryan Scott (Jon Powis), Luke Williams, Andrew Cameron (Carl Adams), Robert Evans, Jason Lanns, Robert Freeman, Marvin Johnson, Chris Gumery.

N.B. Despite having very similar names, identical initials (CTFC) and only 28 miles seperating the two towns, Coleshill and Coalville had never met each other until Coleshill joined the Alliance in 2008. Coalville have had slightly the better of the three subsequent encounters, a 1-0 win at Pack Meadow this season and a 2-0 win at Owen Street in 2008/9. Coleshill won the home game in that year 3-1 with goals from Chris Davies, Matty Robinson and Danny Carter.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2009-2010”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest