Friar Lane & Ep 2 v 1 Coleshill Town - Match Abandon

First Team Match Reports 2009-2010

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2212
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Friar Lane & Ep 2 v 1 Coleshill Town - Match Abandon

Postby Alan Beckett » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:27 am

Saturday 6th February 2010
Aspire Midland Alliance
Friar Lane & Epworth 2 v 1 Coleshill Town Match Abandoned 65 mins
Friar Lane: Lee Barrett 31, John Chapman 32.
Coleshill: Chris Gumery 21.

Attendance 27.

Match Report by Jack Arkell

Coleshill Town’s away fixture at Friar Lane & Epworth was brought to a premature end last Saturday following unsavoury scenes on the pitch as tempers flared after a horrific challenge by Friar’s Lee Barratt on Robert Freeman of Coleshill Town.
It was a real pity that the game ended this way, as the second half held much promise following an opening forty five minutes that had its fair share of exciting play. Marvin Johnson was a handful for the home side’s defence as he once again showed the spark that helped to dismantle Coalville Town in the League Cup. He should have opened the scoring inside the first ten minutes, running clean through from the left flank but seeing his effort rustle the side netting at the near post. Robert Freeman also threatened to break the deadlock early on, nearly profiting from Johnson’s corner delivery as he took two bites of the cherry, but both efforts were blocked inside the penalty area.
Coleshill’s pressure paid off on 21 minutes as they took a deserved lead through Chris Gumery, the front man played in by Freeman, outfoxing two defenders before rolling an exquisite effort into the bottom corner, goalkeeper Laurie Pearson rooted to his spot. The goal boosted the visitors’ confidence, as they began to win the majority of the aerial encounters whilst continuing to press for a second goal.
However, their half time beverages would be spiked by a bitter sense of injustice as the home side grabbed two goals in as many minutes after the half hour mark, first Lee Barratt finishing neatly after collecting a through ball into the box, and then top goal scorer John Chapman picking up the scraps after Coleshill ‘keeper Craig Johnson failed to clear a cross from the right hand side, Chapman practically received his goal on a silver platter from 6 yards. He could have added his second almost instantaneously, but failed to connect with a similar cross from that of which he benefited from just moments beforehand.
Unfortunately, the second half proved to be a stop-start affair due to the regular stoppages for seemingly innocuous challenges. Tempers inevitably flared when goal scorer Lee Barratt experienced a full reversal in fortunes, being shown a straight red card for a brutal tackle on Robert Freeman inside the centre circle after the ball had been played. A heated altercation ensued, all 22 players involved in the skirmish, which resulted in Coleshill Town captain Stuart Hamilton also being sent off for his involvement. This would only ignite the flame further, which resulted in referee Matthew Smith struggling to maintain control, and ultimately deciding to abandon the game on 65 minutes. Lost in this melee was the original victim Freeman, who was carried off the pitch. Physio Joe Perkins explained how at the time he ‘thought it was a break, but I think its medial ligament damage. We’ve put some ice on it as there was immediate swelling.’
Both teams now await action from the Football Association, and also the verdict on Freeman’s injury which hopefully isn’t as serious as first indicated.

Coleshill Line Up:
Craig Johnson, Leyesi Recci (Ben Porter), Stuart Hamilton, Chris Charles, Luke Williams, Rob Freeman, Jason Lanns, Andy Cameron, Marvin Johnson, Chris Gumery, Matty Robinson.
Subs Not Used: Jon Powis, Luke Edwards, Rob Evans, Neil Davis

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2009-2010”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest