Heather St Johns 2 v 3 Coleshill Town - FA Cup.

First Team Match Reports 2010-2011

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2212
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Heather St Johns 2 v 3 Coleshill Town - FA Cup.

Postby Alan Beckett » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:52 am

Saturday 28th August 2010
F.A. Cup Preliminary Round
Heather St Johns 2 v 3 Coleshill Town
Heather: Matt Brown 80, 85.
Coleshill: Danny Carter 26, 66 pen, Ben Porter 54.


Coleshill Town survived two late goals by Matt Brown and a sending off to Mark Lowe to advance through to the next stage of the FA Cup at the expense of Heather St John’s.
In truth it was a deserved win for the Colemen, who went ahead with 26 minutes on the clock through in-form Danny Carter, the forward latched on to an intelligent ball from Ben Porter to shoot across Tom Gutteridge into the bottom corner. It hadn’t been simple for the visitors though, who almost conceded very early on when Chris Tullin’s headed attempt came back off the crossbar and Matt Brown’s effort from the rebound was cleared off the line.
Brown continued to be a thorn in Coleshill’s side, and managed to tip a shot over the out-rushing Chris Jay, only for Luke Edwards to provide cover and block the goal-bound effort. Coleshill had more of the possession though, but a struggle to create chances meant that only the slenderest of leads was taken into the break, as Jon Powis’ late shot from a corner ended up fractionally wide.
Heather St John’s seemed to go through some organisational problems that mired their first half performance, and despite the manager having half time to resolve this, they started the second half mostly the same. Punishment came in the form of a second Coleshill goal, as Steven Hakner dinked a through ball into a great area for Ben Porter on the edge of the box, the midfielder duly slamming the ball home at the near post to grab his third of the season in all competitions.
It seemed as if there was no way back for the hosts, and Carter could have put them further behind with a sweetly struck effort after a one-two with Matty Robinson which sailed just over the bar. Heather tried their best to respond, with Andy Spencer’s low drive almost troubling Chris Jay, but finding only the advertising hoarding behind the goal. When Ben Porter made another trademark run into the box though, Mitch Jordan knew that the only thing he could do was bring him down, taking a yellow card for the team and handing Coleshill a spot kick. Danny Carter would ensure that the Leicester-based team were suitably penalised as he finished low to Gutteridge’s left, the ‘keeper getting a hand to the ball but unable to keep it from rustling the net. Carter’s 5th goal of the hugely productive week should have closed the game off, but Heather St. John’s had other ideas as Coleshill began to prematurely relax.
Danny Quinn’s tireless work had gone as yet unrewarded, but the striker provided an assist as he hurtled down the left channel before pulling the ball back to strike partner Matt Brown who completed the move with a composed finish past Jay with eleven minutes remaining. As the home supporters were finally awakened, they drove their side on, and Brown would double his personal tally finding the bottom corner once again following a savvy run into the box just six minutes later. It would get even worse for Coleshill as Mark Lowe saw the red card for a late challenge on Chris Tullin. Obviously boosted by the late goals, the hosts continued to push for the equaliser, creating a nervy finish when Quinn headed over from less than 6 yards to waste the chance of the game, sending Coleshill through to the First Qualifying Round of the FA Cup.

Team: Chris Jay, Jon Powis, Levi Bailey, Luke Edwards, Steve Hakner, Rob Freeman (Leyiso Recci), Ben Porter (Barry Fitzharris), Liam Givans (Mark Lowe), Matty Robinson, Chris Gumery, Danny Carter.
Report by Jack Arkell.

Coleshill now away to Evesham United in the F.A. Cup 1st Qualifying Round on Saturday 11th September.

Coleshill Town looked to be heading for an easy win at Midland Combination outfit Heather St Johns. The Midland Alliance visitors cruised into a three-goal lead thanks to a Ben Porter strike and two goals from former Redditch United winger (wrong) Danny Carter. But the Leicestershire outfit hit back through a Matt Brown double in the final 10 minutes to leave Coleshill hanging on at the end before securing their 3-2 win.

Coleshill Town's Danny Carter scored twice in the 3-2 win at Heather St Johns.

Carter recieves the congratulations on opening the scoring
Ben Porter peels away after scoring No2
Two goal Danny Carter
Ben Porter at Heather St Johns

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2010-2011”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest