Coleshill Town 0 v 1 Dunkirk

First Team Match Reports 2010-2011

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2212
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Coleshill Town 0 v 1 Dunkirk

Postby Alan Beckett » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:07 pm

Tuesday 5th October 2010
Baker Joiner Midland Alliance
Coleshill Town 0 v 1 Dunkirk


A rare error of judgement by Luke Edwards on 19 minutes left Coleshill tasting their second league defeat of the season, as missed chances were the order of the day in a game which the hosts were extremely unfortunate to not take anything from.
The game may serve as a warning not to take opposing teams for granted, which would be easy to do when on such a good run of form. It could be argued whether or not one eye was on the upcoming FA Cup tie at Nuneaton, but there is no excuse to take any of these teams lightly, as the Pack Meadow faithful found out to their cost. The main problem came in trying to break down the obdurate visiting defence, with frontman Danny Carter receiving little service throughout the contest. When chances did come they were dissipated, and though restricted to attacking on the counter, Dunkirk caused problems with their dangerous acceleration.
The moment which would prove to be the decisive one came when Ross McCaughey sent a long ball forward which was hungrily contested by Lavell White, and as Craig Johnson rushed out to claim the ball, the unfortunate Luke Edwards nodded it over his ‘keeper and into the net from the edge of the area. It took Coleshill a short while to get over this freak goal, but started firing when Jon Powis saw an angled shot saved by Matthew Malak in the ‘Boatmen’s’ goal. Malak was also equal to a Chris Gumery downward header from 6 yards from the ever-improving Liam Givans’ cross, as the resistance began for the visitors.
Despite the continued breakneck speed of the likes of Jarrod Westcarr and Theo Smith, it was the hosts who would continue to have the lion’s share of the attack, but Givans, Gumery and Freeman could do little with what they were given, which was mainly half chances. Dunkirk ended the half strongly, though Darren Garmston’s long range drive was never likely to threaten Johnson’s goal.
The second half called for change from Carl Adams as Jason Lanns and Matty Robinson were introduced at the break, the experienced campaigners hoping to help pick the lock. At the other end of the experience scale though is the youthful Daniel Dineen, the former Alvechurch man making a first start for Coleshill, with Theo Smith coaxing a booking out of him after a rash challenge to stop the tricky midfielder. Smith had a shot blocked bravely by Loyiso Recci, but it was still the Greens who worked their opposing goalkeeper more, though Dean Baker’s header from Givans’ corner was slightly off target as time began to favour the away side.
Robinson’s attacking presence was felt upon his introduction, having a low bobbling shot blocked by Malak, and the heroics continued as an outstretched left hand kept Givans from marking a good performance with a goal. Having not made the most of their chances though, the last word went to Westcarr of Dunkirk, who broke with pace when a late attacking set piece opportunity by Coleshill had broken down. Westcarr ran until one on one with Johnson, the eventual shot poked wide from inside the area to the disappointment of the travelling management team.
The final whistle completed an unexpected win for Dunkirk, but the feeling is that there are bigger fish to fry than the Boatmen on Saturday for Coleshill.

Team: Craig Johnson, Jon Powis, Daniel Dineen, Luke Edwards, Leyiso Recci, Rob Freeman (Barry Fitzharris), Liam Givans, Neil Kitching (Jason Lanns), Danny Carter, Dean Baker, Chris Gumery (Matty Robinson).
Booked- Dineen.
Attendance 37.

Report by Jack Arkell

Another View

A report from Dunkirk, possibly the longest match report ever!

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2010-2011”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest