Nuneaton Town 6 v 0 Coleshill Town - F.A. Cup.

First Team Match Reports 2010-2011

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2212
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Nuneaton Town 6 v 0 Coleshill Town - F.A. Cup.

Postby Alan Beckett » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:43 am

Saturday 9th October 2010
E.On Sponsored F.A Cup, 3rd Qualifying Round
Nuneaton Town 6 v 0 Coleshill Town


Coleshill Town’s superb FA Cup run came to a rather resigned end at the hands of Nuneaton Town, a club well known for their pedigree in the competition. Having played five games to reach this stage of the competition, the furthest in the club’s history, the gulf in class between the two sides three leagues apart was all too evident as the Blue Square North side strolled into the final qualifying round with relative ease.
In an opening played almost entirely in the visitors’ territory, Nuneaton managed to craft a few early openings, with Craig Johnson doing well to tip Justin Marsden’s shot behind his goal. Though very much suppressed for the most part, courageous challenges from the likes of Steven Hakner and Jason Lanns kept their opponents at bay, the defence admirably unfazed by the occasion. The early enterprise and monopolisation of possession from the hosts almost paid off when Lee Moore’s cross was headed onto the underside of the crossbar, Coleshill hearts firmly in mouths as they managed to scramble the ball away.
Though able to create a barrier in front of their goal, the visitors relinquished the ball all too often, aimless long balls a feature of the largely punchless play. So it was not a huge surprise when Marsden picked up the ball on the left flank, cutting inside to curl the ball inside Johnson’s far post to break the deadlock.
The left channel continued to be the most productive part of the field for Nuneaton, and a cross from this position was headed in a healthy position by Donovan Simmonds, the effort finding just too much sky. Johnson pulled off another brilliant save, this time with his legs to prevent Moore from adding to the lead.
A cruel five minute period saw all of Coleshill’s graft undone though, as Marsden added a second via a deflection off of Johnson’s right glove, before a second shot just minutes later from Marsden garnered a more telling block from the goalkeeper, but Simmonds was on hand to tuck home the loose ball. A gap of just three minutes followed before Simmonds evaded two defenders before converting once more as the floodgates opened. The prospect of a cricket score loomed over the away side, and this would have came into fruition but for a plethora of missed chances by Nuneaton throughout the course of the first period.
The second half looked bleak for Coleshill, especially when Kyle Storer swung a sensational 25 yard free kick into the top corner of the net just a couple of minutes after the restart. If anything though, this 5-0 lead seemed to alleviate some of the pressure from the Coleshill players, who began to emerge from their shells, and should have taken a goal back home when Danny Carter slid a cross to substitute Chris Gumery in the Nuneaton penalty area, but somehow the side footed effort didn’t trouble Danny Alcock. Gumery also blazed an effort well over the crossbar, but at least chances were being constructed.
Carter’s run of scoring in every round of the cup came to an end when he was substituted for Jason Ramsey, the striker’s thankless task coming to an end. Ramsey provided an injection of pace in midfield, though Nuneaton still ventured forward, and Marsden would have had a hatrick but for yet another save by Johnson, who would have his best moment when excellently tipping an effort from Chris Dillon onto the bar.
The scoring was eventually finished for the afternoon by Robbie Burns, who secured his first goal for the club after rounding Craig Johnson and rolling the ball into the net once more. The final whistle ended a disappointing afternoon for Coleshill, who refused to collapse when it would have been easy to roll over against opponents of a much higher class, but just getting to the third qualifying round should give supporters reason to be proud of the team. The magic of the FA Cup was absent on this grey Saturday afternoon though, as the favourites made their way into the next round with six unanswered goals.

Team: Craig Johnson, Leyiso Recci, Steve Hakner, Luke Edwards, Jason Lanns, Jon Powis, Liam Givans, Rob Freeman (Barry Fitzharris), Danny Carter (Jason Ramsey), Dean Baker, Matty Robinson (Chris Gumery)). Subs not used Neil Kitching, Daniel Dineen.
Booked: Baker
Attendance: 965.
Report by Jack Arkell.

Nuneaton ruthlessly exposed the 69 places and three divisions seperating the sides to halt Coleshill's FA Cup adventure.
James Armson had already headed against the bar before Justin Marsdon opened the scoring in the 25th minute after getting behind Leyiso Recci and latching a right footed effort past the diving Craig Johnson.
Marsdon made it two with the first of three goals in four minutes side-footing home from 12 yards in the 35th minute.
Two minutes on Mark Noon rode a Luke Edward's tackle in the area and when his low shot was saved but not held by Johnson, Donavan Simmonds pounced from close range.
Soon afterwards Simmonds had his second and Nuneaton's fourth as he stabbed home a bouncing ball in from Nisevic.
Four minutes after the re-start Kyle Storer flighted a perfect free-kick right footed into the top right corner.
And Storer turned provider in the 78th minute finding substitute Robbie Burns who rounded Johnson to score.

Coleshill Are Nuneaton Alive
It was the biggest game in Coleshill Town's history but one they will remember for all the wrong reasons.
They were trounced 6-0 at Nuneaton Town and in truth were never in the game.
The only surprise was it took Nuneaton 25 minutes to get on the scoresheet.
It was the first time the Midland Alliance side had reached the third qualifying round of the FA Cup. Justin Marsdon was the man to break the deadlock and their hearts when he rifled a shot into the top corner from 20 yards after cutting in from the left.
He was on the spot again to get Nuneaton's second as he side-footed in from 18 yards after good work by Eddie Nisevic on 36 minutes.
Nuneaton striker Donavan Simmonds got two in two minutes as he tapped in after good work by Marsdon and then made it 4-0 by side-footing home a Nisevic cross.
Coleshill must have been grateful for the half time whistle, but three minutes after the re-start Kyle Storer made it 5-0 with a curling free kick.
Coleshill had their one good chance after 65 minutes but Chris Gumery scuffed a shot well wide.
Nuneaton substitute Robbie Burns got the sixth as he latched on to a good ball by Storer and finished neatly with 13 minutes still to play. Sadly for Coleshill, it was all too easy.
Star Man: Justin Marsdon. (Nuneaton)
Entertainment: ****

Report by Charlie Head.


NUNEATON NEWS WROTE ... raised.htm

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2010-2011”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest