Postby Alan Beckett » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:36 pm

Monday 2nd January 2012
Midland Alliance
Highgate United 3 v 1 Coleshill Town
Scorers:
Gate: Luke Benbow 14, 61, 73.
Town: Steve Hakner 65.
Attendance: 78.

Team: Will Stannage, Barry Fitzharris, Jason Lanns, Loyiso Recci, Craig Gasieski, Chris Lloyd, Ben Porter, Rob Seal, Sam Wilson, Richard Gregory, Danny Carter. Subs Nathan McBean, Scott Goodby, Jason Ramsey, Remi Williams, Steve Hakner. (Steve Hakner and Chris Laite were definitely used subs)

The curse of Highgate United hits again. Despite Coleshill having a reasonable season and being generally a far better team than Highgate, they still fall foul of the old enemy and slumped to this shocking defeat.

COLESHILL HERALD WROTE
Visitors fall to a Benbow hat-trick
COLESHILL Town slumped to defeat at Highgate on Monday.

A superb hat-trick from Luke Benbow ensured Gate got 2012 off to a winning start.

Highgate started well and Steve Jackson flashed a ball across the face of the Coleshill goal, but no one was on hand to convert.

At the other end, Richard Gregory created space for himself, only for hesitancy to allow Dan Dineen to clear what looked a goal-scoring opportunity.

As Highgate threatened again, a powerful Alando Lewis volley was blocked on the edge of the box and visiting keeper Will Stannage rose to catch Trevor Edwards' teasing cross.

The opening goal came on the 15-minute mark when Benbow headed in an inch- perfect Edwards delivery.

The visitors' first attempt on target from Chris Lloyd failed to trouble Shaun Edwards in goal, while at the other end a Benbow header rattled the crossbar.

Town did close to an equaliser before the break when Chris Laite's header was narrowly off target.

Danny Carter and Gregory both failed to make the most of close-range opportunities.

Benbow doubled his side's advantage after the break as he finished off Edwards' 61st minute pass by cutting inside to squeeze a low left-foot shot between Stannage and his far post.

Coleshill responded with Carter's shot striking the post and rolling along the line for Jack Slevin to clear.

They pulled a goal back in the 64th minute when poor defending allowed the unmarked Steve Hakner to score with a header off a free kick from wide on the right.

Laite then went close to an equaliser with a fine half volley, but Gate survived the pressure and calmed nerves 15 minutes before the end when Benbow's strength took him past defenders to score an outstanding third goal.

COLESHILL Town boss Carl Adams admitted his side's performance in their 3-1 defeat at Highgate United on Monday was 'simply not good enough'.

The Colemen produced a disappointing display in the clash as they were put to the sword by Highgate hat-trick hero Luke Benbow.

Adams said: "We were absolutely awful. It was just not good enough.

"Lately, our results have been disappointing but the performances have been good.

"On Monday both the performance and result were awful.

"It's time to take action, I think.

"The players have given me some false hope because I keep thinking a decent run of results is coming.

"Things have to change because on Monday we were out-fought, out-muscled and showed a lack of desire on the pitch.

"As I say, it's not good enough and I need to address the problems."

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2011-2012”